97 GSX MPEM questions.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jetboatguy

I have a 97 gsx and a 98 gsx limited. the mpem on the 97 is toast, as well as the coil and starter solenoid.

so i have been swapping these parts over from a 951 gsx limited. i have gotten the ski to turn on the info center, and turn over... but still am not getting spark.... any ideas?

i was thinking about swapping the stator over as well... should this work? i saw a post that a guy had gotten his 951 mpem to work on his 787...so i must be close.

It should NOT interchange.... unfortunately. At least that is what I have read but they prob never tried either.

Now I dont want to stop you at this point other than just in case your gonna burn something up but it would have already happened.

The igintion systems are the same between the two. 99+mpems have dual coil and different mag cups.

What you need to do is open the rear ebox and unhook the white wire from the coil. Use a test light and hook to ground then touch it to the connector on the white wire and crank.

It should flash when you crank. If it doesnt, the signal isnt coming from the front. That means either the circuit board on the MPEM isnt routing the white wire right...or there is an issue with the pickup on the stator. I would check the latter...as a grounded pickup can lead to MPEM failure. (not always but can)

Please make sure to get back to us...this is an issue I would like to see if it works or not.

Also...I have a 97 GSX mpem in stock if you need it. Hell I have a 97.5 and a 98 GSXL mpem as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you for the quick response... i will be doingthis troubleshooting tonight, and will post as soon as i know somthing... i need to get this ski on the water. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back