96 Challenger Driveshaft Through Hull Fitting insert?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

lilngineer

I managed to get my pump fully disassembled for overhaul this weekend.

I am curious about the through-hull fitting. My fitting is only plastic and has an inside diameter quite a bit larger than the shaft.

Is this normal?

In the service manual, there is mention of a knurled aluminum insert to be glued in the fitting from the engine bay side.

Should my boat have one and it is missing? Does this close the gap between the ID of the fitting and the OD of the shaft?

Thanks,

Jason

Last edited by a moderator:
same thing here. I cut mine flush with a hack saw and used the knurled aluminum insert with some sealer around it. It does reduce the id/od as you asked. No sure if it really makes differance or not though. I am pleased with the almost zero cavitation of my boat. Everthing is new though from pump up and I have a skat trak impeller.

That difference in diameter is normal. There is no need for you to install the aluminum knurled through hull fitting.
Pre 96 SeaDoo's (and the 97.5 GSX Limited) did not have a carbon ring seal on the driveshaft, they had seal carrier with a needle bearing riding on the driveshaft that needed frequent greasing through a grease fitting. If you failed to grease this bearing, it would eventually seize up on the driveshaft and tear apart the protection hose and the original plastic hull fitting. This would allow water to flow freely into the hull (meaning you sink). The knurled aluminum fitting is meant to replace the damaged plastic fitting. Any SeaDoo with a carbon ring seal on the driveshaft will not damage the plastic through hull fitting if it fails and therefore doesn't need the knurled aluminum fitting.

Chester

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply. I recently assembled as is figuring it must be ok.

The service manual wasn't very clear about this.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back