787 Impeller Shaft: WSM washer not fitting

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

Just rebuilding my pumps on my 98 speedster with twin 787's but I am about to torque it all down but before I do, I wanted to ask if anyone had any issues using the WSM rebuild kits for the pump, more specifically, the thrust washer not fitting in the center bore (when putting it in like the manual states, putting thrust washer in the hole, then thrust bearing then putting impeller shaft through the whole assembly using that special tool to keep it straight I guess). I re-used my old washers since these WSM ones did NOT fit in there (I can see this getting totally messed up if someone did not pay attention to this and just torq'd it down with it being not seated in the center bore).

I suppose this is common as on some vids online people say to re-use your existing thrust washer and not the aftermarket one?

There is no alignment tool required,ever!!!,unless the original washer/washers are scored,,reuse it/them,,,far superior quality and fit.

There is no alignment tool required,ever!!!,unless the original washer/washers are scored,,reuse it/them,,,far superior quality and fit.
I dunno, the tool i had bought fit over the threads of the impeller shaft and it went through easily but i feel like i could have done it without it, unlike what the manual says lol.

as for the washer, i tried the wsm washers on BOTH pumps and the washer did not fit in either pump bores, here’s a couple pics of what i mean (i ended up using old washers since they were still in good shape):

Attachments

• 5F3E2C62-2410-46C7-8B5B-14AA7CBE012A.jpeg
    5F3E2C62-2410-46C7-8B5B-14AA7CBE012A.jpeg
    305.4 KB · Views: 7
  • F1E1E53E-81FF-40EF-852D-705D9A4B3FB2.jpeg
    F1E1E53E-81FF-40EF-852D-705D9A4B3FB2.jpeg
    313 KB · Views: 6
There is no alignment tool,,,i think they are referring to aligning a motor,,,the prop shaft just slides thru the washers and bearings.

Yeah that’s what i thought too. It’s weird that the manual asks for this tool to be used. It even says to elevate it slightly as the tool pokes past the edges of the jetpump on the other side, without the tool it doesn’t.

When you put the prop back on,,in the vice,,,just make sure you lift and spin the pump as you tighten to avoid locking up the thrust washer on the shaft,,if you can't spin/turn easily,,, backoff and retry.

Seeems to have worked. There is front to back play which i read is actually normal. Torq’d to 52lbs. I used antiseize on the impeller threads btw, and a crapload of xps grease on the splines.. boot installed and just need to install the cone. Which size fitting goes into the cone plug hole so i can do the leak test?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back