1996 GTX Impeller/Pump question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Irrumater

I replaced the wear ring in my 1996 GTX and not sure everything is going back together correctly. After carefully putting the shaft/Thrust bearing/thrust washer in the vice and lowering the housing onto it, and tightening the impeller down to spec ( 52 ft lbs) I have what seems to be normal front to back play and the impeller turns easily as expected.
When I begin to tighten the cone back on, the front to back play is gone. The impeller can still be spun by hand, but it takes more effort. The cone is currently hand tightened with a nut driver, I haven't fully tightened it down yet.
Does this sound normal? or did I pinch the bearing? If I hold the housing by the impeller while tightening the cone( tricky) I can feel the play go away and it become more difficult to turn as it goes. I don't remember how it felt before taking it apart.
I am hoping to get one more ride this weekend before shutting down for the winter, but don't want to destroy the pump.
Thanks in advance for the help

Back