96 Challenger Bad compression and engine replacement

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bookerb1047

Just purchased a 96 Challenger, good looking boat, needs very little upholstry work. Just had (local shop) do an engine check after replacing the old SBT starter that failed after 1 year. The compression check was 120 on Front 160 on Rear. I was told I need a new engine and that the rings or piston could be suspect. I have heard way to many horror stories with SBT engines so we are going with a factory Seadoo engine with 1 year warranty. Also, had to weld the blowout valves on the exaust and rebuild the carbs. Quoted about 3,200 for everything. Is this about average shop prices? Our neiborhood association doesn't allow repairing your car/boat in the driveway so that option of repiaring myself is not possible. I was told the cost of the engine core is 1380.

Also have a 2002 RXDI with engine problems..what are these worth with a good trailor?

$3200 for a replacement engine, that is a lot of money. How much is your boat worth right now? I'd buy a used working engine and throw it in there but that is just me.

woops, The replacement of the engine is 2,600. That includes the new engine, parts, and labor. I am having other things done to it.

woops, The replacement of the engine is 2,600. That includes the new engine, parts, and labor. I am having other things done to it.

$2600 for a replacement engine, that is a lot of money. How much is your boat worth right now? I'd buy a used working engine and throw it in there but that is just me.

Just purchased a 96 Challenger, good looking boat, needs very little upholstry work. Just had (local shop) do an engine check after replacing the old SBT starter that failed after 1 year. The compression check was 120 on Front 160 on Rear. I was told I need a new engine and that the rings or piston could be suspect. I have heard way to many horror stories with SBT engines so we are going with a factory Seadoo engine with 1 year warranty. Also, had to weld the blowout valves on the exaust and rebuild the carbs. Quoted about 3,200 for everything. Is this about average shop prices? Our neiborhood association doesn't allow repairing your car/boat in the driveway so that option of repiaring myself is not possible. I was told the cost of the engine core is 1380.

Also have a 2002 RXDI with engine problems..what are these worth with a good trailor?

There are horror stories to everything on the market. The biggest horror story I've heard from, year after year, is listening to the advice of someone who is looking to make money off of you.

I have used SBT engines for about 5 or 6 years. The only problem I've ever had was a blown engine. But, it wasn't SBT's fault. People who make these horror stories up, are generally people who had a blown engine, sent in their core, got a newly rebuilt from SBT, then put it in their craft. The only problem was, they never found out why the first motor blew to begin with. If you blow a motor, you've got to find the root cause as to why it blew. Many times, there is a carb problem, either out of sync or leaned out, or maybe some other issue. But, just because they have a new motor, they think the problem goes away by itself. It doesn't. Sad to say, I watched this happen after giving advice. The guy decided to take a different route and "Bam"... motor blew again. That was a huge waste of money.

SBT motors are the best motors you can buy for the money. If you can afford $3k for a new BRP rotax, then I'd go for it. Most of us can't. I've been running an SBT 787 for 4 years. Last year, I popped the tops off and I could still read the piston size on the top of the dome. The motor was clean.

I run Quicksilver "Full Synthetic" oil and go through my carbs once a year.

It's not so much who built the engine, it's how the one that bought it takes care of it, breaks it in, and makes sure they discover the "root cause" before just putting a new motor in place.... Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back