Please Help!! 98’ Challenger 1800, Losing Power and Dies.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tater345

Hey everybody,

Let me start off by saying I’m no expert, have basic mechanical knowledge, and this is my first boat.

I bought this boat from this guy a couple months ago and was insured many promises and how this challenger is good to go for summer. It has a new engine on starboard side by sbt. “Coming up on a year old”. And is set to premix. Boat ran good the first 2 times out for short trips.

soon I experienced an issue were 1 motor, “starboard side” would not like to turn over and when it did I had to feather the throttle to keep it running. if I would idle in a no wake zone it would bounce around a little bit and then just die. Meanwhile the other engine runs great. And anything over 3-3.5k and the botruns great! Anything under and the right side will eventually die.

I started to look into the issue. Never liked running any type of equipment when it wasn’t running correctly unless I absolutely have too. The compression is good on both engines, new spark plugs, fuel lines are good. Use high test gas, full synthetic oil. I decided to bring it too a mechanic locally, the guy was jerking me around so brought it too another local company, he looked at it said it was a carb issue and went in cleaned the carbs, he said he checked the fuel pump, adjusted the carbs accordingly and gave me my boat back and told me it’s good to go.

I took my mother out on the boat this Saturday.She started up right away and sounded good! Let it idle for about 8 mins and crept my way out into the river. For about 15 minutes everything felt good, power was smooth, no issues. I start to slow down into a no wake zone and the right engine starts to struggle untill it falls on its face. Start it up, same thing, struggles at the lower rpms runs good over 3.5k. At this point I turned the boat around not wanting to do any more damage that is already done and when I get to the last no wake zone I feather the throttle to keep it going to get to the launch, and I hear this weird slow but pronounced ticking noise coming from behind me on my right side the engine is running still. So I turn the engine of and come in on 1 engine.

I know that this is part of boating but I have scoured the web, read as much as I could videos etc. I just have no idea, this is my first boat and getting very frustrated, seller deff took advantage of my inexperience and paid too much thinking the boat was going to be good for at least the season. Anyways any help anyone could give would be greatly appreciated, want to figure out the issue and see if it’s worth fixing or just take the hit and move on.

Thank You Very Much Guys,

Tate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back