Question about rotary valve shaft replacement and using premixed or a OEM oil pump

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thor0515

Hi guys,
Got a question about a 1995 GTS that I wanted to asked and see what thoughts everyone had. My ski died on me a while back while on the water. Good compression (150 on both), good spark, rebuild carb but still would not start. Tired of fiddling with it so I took it to a shop and they said the rotary valve shaft was not turning and most likely the brass gear was worn out and recommended getting someone to rebuild engine or replace the engine.
I've read a few of the post on the rotary shaft brass gear wearing down and people simply replacing the complete shaft with a new one and getting back on the water. I have another 587 engine that lost compression a few years ago so I played with it today to see how much was involved with replacing the shaft and it went smoothly. With that thought I'm planning on just replacing my shaft but the service manager at the shop threw me a comment about running premixed that I wanted some thoughts about.
I bought the ski about 8 years ago and was told the oil pump had been "disabled" and I needed to keep oil in the tank for bottom end lubrication and to just run premixed which I have done. When I rebuild the carb, I took the oil pump out and put in a SBT blocking plate. plugged the large line to the pump and left the large lines to the engine in place.
The service manager even with that info told me that not having a oil pump probably led to the brass gear failing as the lower end needed the oil from the pump for lubrication ????
So what are the thoughts, is just replacing the rotary valve shaft with a new one a doable idea and what about running with premixed fuel and a blocking plate. Is there a concern that there is not enough lubrication ?
I welcome any and all thoughts and suggestions,
Lloyd

He is 100% wrong. As long as the two big lines go to the tank and you keep oil in it that is all is needed. The oil pump has absolutely nothing to do with the rotary shaft at all. It’s just a flooded chamber, the oil doesn’t circulate and the tank and gravity keep it full.

He is 100% wrong. As long as the two big lines go to the tank and you keep oil in it that is all is needed. The oil pump has absolutely nothing to do with the rotary shaft at all. It’s just a flooded chamber, the oil doesn’t circulate and the tank and gravity keep it full.
Thanks, was thinking what he said made no sense but wanted see what others thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back