2005 RXT Starter relay issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetfrank

Hi All - working on this RXT and dealing with a relay issue. Relay is fine (was replaced) but is not getting the signal to close when I press the start button. I removed it and jumped the small posts from the starter button and it clicked like normal. Any simple reason that the button is not working - I went into the steering column and checked that its getting power, checked that the circuit is closing when the button is pushed. All check out OK......but for some reason there's no power going to the small terminal on the relay...frustrating! Wondering if there is a connector somewhere that I'm missing thanks for any help you might have!

When you say you jumped the small posts on the solenoid? What exactly does that mean? This circuit uses a 12V positve on the yellow and a ground on the black, not a simple closing of the circuit by jumping. A clicking relay doesn't always mean it's closing the main circuit. In fact, the brown ones are notorious for failing that way.

Back up a little, do you get 2 beeps when you put the key on? Start from there.

thanks for the reply. yes, I get two beeps. the relay has the two large main posts for the battery to starter cable and then two much smaller that energize when the start button is pushed. There is a plug with purple and brown/yellow wires coming from the start button on the handlebars. When I removed relay and energized using a test battery and some jumpers it clicks like it should. there is apparently a bad connection between the start button and this plug. Everything checks out at the handlebars but somewhere there is a bad connection on the way to the plug that goes into the relay. Hope that helps.

VICTORY! (I think???) I have two lanyards for the boat, one new the other old - I have been using the old one and although the the ski turns on and beeps - nothing happens when you hit the start button. Tried the newer lanyard a few minutes ago and bam! Relay is clicking away like it should. But.....why would the old lanyard prevent the relay from engaging??? Weird?

that would appear to be the issue! Learn something new everyday, wish I could have the hours back that I spent getting educated about this!

When you say you jumped the small posts on the solenoid? What exactly does that mean? This circuit uses a 12V positve on the yellow and a ground on the black, not a simple closing of the circuit by jumping. A clicking relay doesn't always mean it's closing the main circuit. In fact, the brown ones are notorious for failing that way.

Back up a little, do you get 2 beeps when you put the key on? Start from there.
Actually I got one beep and then two short ones. that was the issue but I had no idea that there was a chip in the lanyard. With the newer lanyard I get the two short beeps and it starts right up! Frustrating..learning as I go! thanks for the help......now on to the ceramic supercharger bushings. Not my ski but I'm giving my friend a heads up about this time bomb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back