2004 Sea doo GT1 - starter engages immediately with key

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

jnh1star

So im trying to help a friend, ever since she bought a 2004 Seadoo GTI with a 720 2 stroke, every time the key is inserted, the starter briefly engages, but does not crank, keep in mind im not pushing the start/ (on/off) button as you would normally do. The battery never dies, nor does the starter stay engaged, its been running well for 2 years, this happens every time the key is inserted, i dont believe it beeps twice as it should to verify the dess key, The machine starts with any key. It has a DESS key, the starter relay and MPEM have been replaced.
I looked up the wiring diagram and Im trying to determine the current flow.
Given the fact it happens only with the insertion of the key, i assume im simulating a ground on the YL-RD
I assume the CUT OFF RELAY is actually the starter relay ?

Looks like the Key switch (BK-BK/YL) and the START/OFF switch (BK - YL/RD) are both inputs to the MPEM and receive a GROUND INPUT
And the BK-PU is the ground for the coil side of the start relay (not sure why its called a cut off relay). Which immediately engages the relay

With that said, i was told the WH-GY is only used for the DESS signal to the MPEM
So after you push the key in, and in a normal situation, we push the start button, those two inputs to the MPEM then signals the MPEM then receives the power signal (relay closed ) on the RE/PU, then sends power out to the STARTER SOLENOID on the YL/RD

This is a confusing system on how to get power to the starter system
Regardless, any ideas on my issue ?
Seadoor wiring.gif

Has anyone ever had this issue , any ideas on how to proceed ?

Speaking of current flow, the rectifier part of the regulator/rectifier uses 3 diodes to rectify AC to DC. If one of the diodes is bad and allows back flow of DC current from the battery to the DC circuits you can get all sorts of weird events. You can test the diodes with a multimeter. Its free and simple and also when you are doing the test wiggle the rectifier pins with the test leads to try to get it to back feed.

Back