2004 rxp no power to fuel pump

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

rjquinn

i have a 2004 rxp supercharged and i wasnt getting fuel to the fuel rail so i replaced the fuel pump and made sure the lines wearnt clogged, still wasnt getting fuel so i pulled the NEW fuel pump and tested it outside of the ski. it worked, so then i put a multi meter on the electrical line giving power the pump and i get 10v i have good ground as well. there seems to be a timer because when i put the key in i get 10v for exactly 10sec then i dont get power at all to the pump. all of the connections on the pump are good and i get good power from the battery to the connection on the pump but as soon as i hook it up i dont get power. extremely weird. any help is very much appreciated!!

Right, the ECU provides the ground for the fuel pump. That's why the pump shuts off after 10 seconds or so; it only runs long enough to prime the rail for starting. Once the ski starts, the ECU reconnects the ground. The ECU ground is probably connected when the ECU sees the crankshaft position sensor signal, but I've never see that in the service manual documentation.

Do you mean as soon as you connect the fuel pump to the ski's wiring harness you don't get power?

Also, is your battery at 12 volts or 10 when you perform your voltage check?

Ok. I need you to perform the following voltage checks.

Disconnect electrical connector from fuel pump.

1. Positive lead to battery positive; negative lead to Battery negative (voltage reading?
2. Positive lead to Pin A on the fuel pump connector; negative lead to battery negative (voltage reading)?

Reconnect the fuel pump connector; back-probe electrical connector with T-pins (available on Amazon)

3. Positive lead to Pin A on the fuel pump connector; negative lead to battery negative (voltage reading)
4. Same as step 3, but what is the voltage when you connect the lanyard to the DESS post?

On the schematic below, pin 1-26 is battery positive from the MPEM (A on the fuel pump); Pin 1-1 (D on the fuel pump) is the ground for the fuel pump motor from the ECM. The driver in the ECM is only active for a few seconds when you connect the lanyard to the DESS post as you know. Don't worry about pins B & C on the pump; those are for the fuel level sender circuit.

2004 fuel pump.JPG

The voltage should be the same or steps 1 & 2. If the voltage in step 2 is lower; you need to look for a short in the fuel pump positive wire. Damage to the wiring insulation, and corrosion. Corrosion in the harness can cause voltage drops in the circuit; if the voltage drop is too much, the fuel pump won't run. Also check for corrosion on the contact pins of the harness that connects to the fuel pump.

Voltage in step 3 should be similar to steps 1 & 2.

Voltage in Step 4 will drop slightly when the fuel pump is activated, but should go back up as soon as the ECM times out and deactivates the circuit.

Ok. I need you to perform the following voltage checks.

Disconnect electrical connector from fuel pump.

1. Positive lead to battery positive; negative lead to Battery negative (voltage reading?
2. Positive lead to Pin A on the fuel pump connector; negative lead to battery negative (voltage reading)?

Reconnect the fuel pump connector; back-probe electrical connector with T-pins (available on Amazon)

3. Positive lead to Pin A on the fuel pump connector; negative lead to battery negative (voltage reading)
4. Same as step 3, but what is the voltage when you connect the lanyard to the DESS post?

On the schematic below, pin 1-26 is battery positive from the MPEM (A on the fuel pump); Pin 1-1 (D on the fuel pump) is the ground for the fuel pump motor from the ECM. The driver in the ECM is only active for a few seconds when you connect the lanyard to the DESS post as you know. Don't worry about pins B & C on the pump; those are for the fuel level sender circuit.

View attachment 64908

The voltage should be the same or steps 1 & 2. If the voltage in step 2 is lower; you need to look for a short in the fuel pump positive wire. Damage to the wiring insulation, and corrosion. Corrosion in the harness can cause voltage drops in the circuit; if the voltage drop is too much, the fuel pump won't run. Also check for corrosion on the contact pins of the harness that connects to the fuel pump.

Voltage in step 3 should be similar to steps 1 & 2.

Voltage in Step 4 will drop slightly when the fuel pump is activated, but should go back up as soon as the ECM times out and deactivates the circuit.
clean the ground on the front of the block

have a 2015 seadoo 260 rxt and its leaking oil or burning oil excessively in number 2 cylinder, took to shop and was told it needs new engine, priced at 4500 to 5500. Feels like the problem could just be in top end but wanted to know if someone else has ran in to this before

Back