2005 RXT intermittently not starting

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

brekus

Hi, I am a relativllely new Seadoo owner and new here. I have a 2005 RXT. It will not start at times, no turnover or click at all. You can gear a soft humfor a few seconds after pushing the start button. If you disengage the key, then re-engage a number of times, it will start. Battery checks out fine under load, connections are clean. I read on a website that this may indicate a starter relay problem? It looks easy/cheap enough to replace it, but does anyone have any other tjoughts on thos issue? Thanks in advance!

Just to be super sure, I like to run/jump a cable to the positive terminal of the starter just to totally rule it out.

Your description matches what is happening to me on my 2007 GTI SE 155 - I have a post with some ongoing comments about my diagnosis journey. The hum sounds like your starter is spinning, meaning your starter relay is working, but the bendix is not engaging the flywheel to turn the engine over to start every time.

You can replace your relay like I did as a process of elimination for $45 - didn’t change anything on mine. I have an OE starter a year old, but it got bathed in salt water from another issue (which I won’t go into here, but you can read my post from Feb 2021). So I am questioning the status of my starter... and my battery checks out good on load test and ski is charging the battery properly (per my dealer).

All point to my bendix bearings being worn or a bending issue on a 250 hour ski, in spite of most saying they have never seen a bendix fail, even at 250 or more hours. And I don’t really want to admit it yet and pay to pull the engine to investigate.

I just bought a new battery this weekend as another process of hope and elimination and I will test my ski this week to see if it starts every time or not And update my ongoing thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back