2004 Seadoo XPDI quits at ~5300 rpm

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

wymanj

2004 seadoo xpdi with around 50 hours.

Can't get the ski past 5300 rpm in the water. Revs fine out of water. Tops out between 41-43 mph.

Background: Got the ski about 4 years ago and ran fine. One day friend sucked up a rope so we turned it over to cut rope out (in water). Once rope was out wouldn't run. Found out it got water into the gas tank. So removed all gas and finally got it running with new gas (out of water). Let sit through winter and fond starter bendix to be rusted solid and would not engage motor. So took it to the local shop and 1400 dollars later he had a new bendix put in (got screwed I know). Ever since then it hasn't been able to go past 5300 rpm. Idles good and runs up to that rpm good, just wont go past. And I know it revs higher and goes faster because of the way it ran when I got it.

What I have tried: I have pulled the RAVE valves out and cleaned them up. They had a lot of carbon build up and I was hopeful that it was my problem. However, it didn't do the trick. Both lines to the rave valves are also clear, and the line and T to those are also clear.

Does the blue plastic screws on top of the RAVE valves have anything to do with limiting the revs? They are screwed all the way in.

Not sure what to try now. Just thought I would post it up on here and see if you guys had any ideas. I have done some research but haven't been able to find a fix. And I do not want to take it back to my local shop.

Thanks, Jordan.

does the engine die... or it just wont' go higher than 5300 rpm?

No the engine does not die. In fact it runs fine otherwise. Just won't get up in the rpms. Even at 5300 it is running pretty smooth, almost as if it is just hitting a rev limiter.

Checked the volts with it running today. At idle around 13.5 and at 5500-6000 around 14.5, so from what I have read that sounds like it is fine. So idk what the problem is. Could it be a weak stator?

Also the last time out before it started running wrong we sucked a rope into the impeller. Would this have caused it to bend maybe and that is what is not allowing it to rev out on the water?

plugs, plug wires cut back 1/4", RAVES clean, water regulator, fuel filter clean, impeller condition / wear ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back