RESTO 1998 Seadoo SPX Resto Project

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

racerxxx

So another winter is winding down and I just picked up another resto project. Just picked up the elusive 98 SPX. Saw this on my "local" craigs. It had been listed for about a month and I really didn't need it but it kept calling my name. I also called on a 97 SPX but missed out on that one, so this one was next in line. So I left today and drove through snow, sleet and rain. I'm like the post man for an X4. Unfortunately, the engine is locked, carbs are locked, VTS boot is ripped so I'll assume that is out to lunch too. But, It will get a complete tear down and proper going through, a single gauge hood and a hump seat, both of which I already have. The decals seem to be in good condition and still have good coloring. If there are little knicks and scratches in them, I don't care...they will stay on there. I'm not wetsanding this one, it's getting a buff and detail on the outside. I think it's frozen to the trailer so it will be a few days before I get it into the shop. For now, enjoy the few pics I have.

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

Love it! Looks to be all original and unmolested. I agree with you on the outside, just do a good buff and call it good!

Assuming the even more valuable Triton aluminum trailer came with it? They don't look like they have been separated in a while. Nice pick up!

Oh yeah!!!! Another resto!!

96 XP800!
Keep the 2 strokes alive!

Yep. This one's not going to be nearly as NOS as my 95. Unless the chit is at give away prices.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming the even more valuable Triton aluminum trailer came with it? They don't look like they have been separated in a while. Nice pick up!

That's my galvanized shorelandr. This ski was sleeping on the ground. We actually slid it about 40' across the snow to get it to my trailer. All that slop was just from the ride home. I was in 4WD for most of the ride home.

Wow man. It just looks like something chipped out of a glacier! At least it's in the right hands now.

I don't have to go to the shop tomorrow for work so I'll drag out the garden hose and try and wash this unit up and get it in my shop. I'm really amazed how nothing has been touched. Even the tempo return line is routed thru the cable tie on the rear engine arch. I have a feeling this was a victim of Super Storm Sandy. There's a bunch of debris inside and silt trails. I know that looking at any ski in Jersey had this potential. What's crazy is the paint is still very solid on the engine. I forgot the exhaust exited towards the pump. What I didn't realize is the rear grab bar is not rubber coated, it's just plastic. I'll post some more pics later tonight.

Yup the 97 98 99 grab bars are hard plastic. We have them on out 96 xp's. You can paint them and clear them. They turn out super smooth and really glossy. Much better than the rubber ones imo

I always wondered how well the painted rubber held up, now I know.

I'd say leave the hood on it and restore it to stock if you're going to leave everything else stock. It would look too pretty sitting next to your 95...seat can get a yellow hump tho :)

I'd say leave the hood on it and restore it to stock if you're going to leave everything else stock. It would look too pretty sitting next to your 95...seat can get a yellow hump tho :)

Nah, the elephant ears are probably going to have to go.

Ok, onto some new pics.

Here is the worst decal so far, but I think the others have very little issues. It's the front left as sitting on the ski.

35.jpg

Still has nice coloring to it.

36.jpg

Ultra clean front ebox. All the fuses are good and I didn't see any trace of prior entry.

37.jpg

Now for why I think it has seen some water.

A lot of chit in the bilge that shouldn't be in there.

38.jpg

This silt is oozing from a lot of places.

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

The boot is torn so I know how the water got it. The front seal was tight as a drum on the VTS cover.

42.jpg

I'm glad we are getting another racerxxx build! But I'm also dying to see the 95 xp800!!
I bookmark everyone of your builds lol I've read them all numerous times. I'm your build thread stalker haha

96 XP800!
Keep the 2 strokes alive!

Build stalker, that's funny right there.

The 95 is just sitting. Waiting on the decals to be finished up and I need to still paint the engine and carbs and reassemble. Couple of days worth of work. I haven't been in the shop hardly at all this winter. My propane company stuck it to me for gas this season and was charging over $4 a gallon for LP. I get roughly 80 gallons at a drop and use between 3 to 4 tanks a winter. So it would be close to $350 a tank which lasts close to a month. I can't swallow a extra $1000 to $1400 gas bill just to support my hobby. To put that in perspective, in the summer I pay roughly $2.00 a gallon for LP to heat our pool. I use the same amount of tanks in the summer to keep the pool warm as I do to heat the shop. I'm currently investigating alternative heat sources for next season.

Nah, I'm looking at electric overhead radient heat. Like the stuff Home Depot and Lowes has as you walk out the door. Oh wait, you guys probably don't have that, LOL. Typically what I do is pre-buy WAY more LP than I need for the summer then they deliver it to me for the summer price all winter long. Somehow I F'd up this winter and they wouldn't hook me up even though I have been with them for 15 years so this winter they just lost money on my account. So, I might have to stick it to them this summer and shop around but when I did that before I was surprised at how much less this place was, as in no tank rental fee, no surcharges on delivery etc, etc.....

Build stalker, that's funny right there.

The 95 is just sitting. Waiting on the decals to be finished up and I need to still paint the engine and carbs and reassemble. Couple of days worth of work. I haven't been in the shop hardly at all this winter. My propane company stuck it to me for gas this season and was charging over $4 a gallon for LP. I get roughly 80 gallons at a drop and use between 3 to 4 tanks a winter. So it would be close to $350 a tank which lasts close to a month. I can't swallow a extra $1000 to $1400 gas bill just to support my hobby. To put that in perspective, in the summer I pay roughly $2.00 a gallon for LP to heat our pool. I use the same amount of tanks in the summer to keep the pool warm as I do to heat the shop. I'm currently investigating alternative heat sources for next season.

same reason i go into a hibernation in the winter. it costs me ridiculous amount of money to heat my shop, and my pole building outside the entrance to shop is open air. its easier for me to just stock up on parts in the fall and slowly sell them off as needed and work on money making ideas for the next season.

Have you looked into geothermal. The initial investment is high but if you never plan to move it would pay for itself .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back