RESTO 1998 Seadoo SPX Resto Project

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did a little work tonight. Popped the air box off completely. She definitely is not healthy. Amazing what can hide behind the flame arrestor.

Putting these out in the yard for the deer to lick the salt off of.

69.jpg

70.jpg

Dropped the pump out. Wear ring is beat and the pump doesn't feel 100% kosher. Nice little nest in there too.

71.jpg

Torn boot and completely loose VTS nut

72.jpg

I think the needle and seat are bad in the carbs, there was a ton of gas running out of the bottom end when I took the PTO off. Oh wait, that wasn't gas............the ice finally defrosted It drained for about 3 minutes like that. Can't wait to inspect that one.

73.jpg

Pulled the MAG guillotine, again it's not bad for never being apart for a cleaning.

74.jpg

75.jpg

That poor poor ski :( :(

Damn you definitely have me beat I'm surprised you got the pto off without oxygen acetylene

Gosh wouldn't it be crazy if you could see exactly what happened to the ski its whole life. Not just stories from POs. Then again maybe i don't always want to see lol.

Damn you definitely have me beat I'm surprised you got the pto off without oxygen acetylene

Popped easier that some I've had. I looked in the back with a light and a mirror and the bearing looks clean which blew me away

Gosh wouldn't it be crazy if you could see exactly what happened to the ski its whole life. Not just stories from POs. Then again maybe i don't always want to see lol.

I say the same thing all the time. It would be cool to see where it went.

Lol I wouldn't have stopped until the bottom end was apart. I would just have to know what was in there.

Does the 98 have the exhaust outlet facing the pump?

96 XP800!
Keep the 2 strokes alive!

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know why they set it up like that?

96 XP800!
Keep the 2 strokes alive!

Maybe im totally wrong, but I thought i heard once that the straight exit out the rear can make the ski turn a little bit more when running in a straight like. Basically the pressure and air coming out of the exhaust pushes the ski and you have to compensate with turning the bars just a little to go straight. Maybe im totally off, but for some reason that rings a bell

the 97 gsx i once had has the rear exhaust exit and the 99 gsx rfi has the exit facing the pump and really didn't notice any difference. the down side is the 99 gets all sooty in the pump cavity and is a pain to clean :(
i also wonder why they didn't keep the rear exit?

Another theory here......
I know about that time all the manufacturers were getting heat for the PWC "noise" issues and Seadoo even came up with the D-SEA-BEL system for noise reduction. Just riding behind them you can hear the exhaust much further away on the ones out the back than the ones exiting inside the pump area.

Maybe im totally wrong, but I thought i heard once that the straight exit out the rear can make the ski turn a little bit more when running in a straight like. Basically the pressure and air coming out of the exhaust pushes the ski and you have to compensate with turning the bars just a little to go straight. Maybe im totally off, but for some reason that rings a bell

Lol, no. When you're on plane it's out of the water.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

It probably has more to do with noise pollution. Turning it towards the pump would muffle it just a tiny bit more.

On my Speedster is dumps sideways but a bit less confined and it's not bad at all. This pump is clean and so is the area in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back