RESTO 1998 Seadoo SPX Resto Project

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you that it has had alot of water in it. You will find that silt all over the lowerside of the motor too. Mostly on the bottom and rv oil return side of the cases. Seen it plenty of times. It will rinse right out but it is nasty. I notice alot of black spots on the fuel tank too. Same stuff just lots off dots all over the sides of the tank.

Have you looked into geothermal. The initial investment is high but if you never plan to move it would pay for itself .

I'll be hauled out in the meat wagon from my house. We bought our forever house first and set it up to what we wanted before we had kids for the most part, we could hit the jackpot--we're not leaving, trust me. I screwed up when I built my shop, I wanted radiant floor heat but cheaped out I guess. I was getting nervous about tapping out my loan. When I finished my shop I only used 2/3's of the loan, I would have had plenty to do it. My set up is very strange, my shop is 2' off my neighbors property line and I have huge 40 year old white pines about 8' from the exterior of my shop. I can not endanger those pines, they hide my monolith from the neighborhood. You would never know I have a 20'X30'X23' tall shop in my subdivision. Like I said the heat usually isn't bad if I pre-buy more than I need.

So I had to repair my neighbors snowblower tonight so I had the heat going. After I finished I took out the rear ice box, I mean e-box. I have a sneaking suspicion the engine is going to look the same. I already have a clean rear ebox in inventory. I put my battery in but before I hooked it up I popped the box open.

54.jpg

Also drug the SPX to the local car wash today before the bad weather hit and got it put in the shop.

55.jpg

Black is faded pretty good but I don't see any major rash on the bottom, just some usual scratches.

56.jpg

That ebox! That is insane, hope the engine isn't the slushy to your already frozen treat

Oh, I can guarantee it is. I'm waiting for it to defrost to see if I can turn it over and it the carbs will work with the throttle, LOL.

Dagre. You are the most dedicated member on this site. Your wife is in labor and you just can't get away from the forum! Lol

He's got a few months before that kid will do anything but just lay there and wiggle. Way better when they can actually roll over and crawl.

BTW [MENTION=71013]DAGRE147[/MENTION] Big congrats on the kiddo!

Racer do you remember what I need these jugs bored to for the first over pistons on this xp800

Racer do you remember what I need these jugs bored to for the first over pistons on this xp800

I can't remember what the clearance is supposed to be, take the jugs with the Pistons to the machine shop and I beleive you just tell them what the piston to cylinder wall clearance should be and they'll take it from there. Don't want to just use a one size fits all number

It's .004" and is on page 040-02-5 in the 96 service manual. Chart is on the right lower corner of the page. I just give that page (I highlight the 787) and hand them the jugs and pistons. That's for OEM pistons, if you're using aftermarket find out what they spec.

They are oem first over thank I have it somewhere but figured you knew it . I found a local that builds engines for drag bikes to bore them

Tasty, sediment lines. That is the top of the air box. The bottom is closest to you so I think the water was pretty deep in there. I pulled the PTO RAVE and it looked half way decent for never being apart.

62.jpg

When polishing the black the trick is slower speeds, if you get the rpm's up it with haze over. It drove me nuts trying to figure that out. That 3m super duty you recommended will work great on it. I just used it last night on a 97xp and it looks great.

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to have to get some new wool when I get to that point. This white is chalky, I'm hoping it will buff back semi decently. I'm not pulling decals and wet sanding this one.

There was a half gallon of water in the cases of that first one I bought. Praying to the seadoo god's for you lol

If I know racerxxx it doesn't matter what that crank looks like.. It's getting an oem one

96 XP800!
Keep the 2 strokes alive!

I knew going in at the price being asked that there were issues. I'm usually a glass half full kind of guy. But before I even tried to turn the pto by hand I saw the silt up front. At that moment, I knocked my glass over. You guys know me, I'm not out looking for runners, I'm just looking for the best of the worst and the cheapest of the best.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Did a little work tonight. Popped the air box off completely. She definitely is not healthy. Amazing what can hide behind the flame arrestor.

Putting these out in the yard for the deer to lick the salt off of.

69.jpg

70.jpg

Dropped the pump out. Wear ring is beat and the pump doesn't feel 100% kosher. Nice little nest in there too.

71.jpg

Torn boot and completely loose VTS nut

72.jpg

I think the needle and seat are bad in the carbs, there was a ton of gas running out of the bottom end when I took the PTO off. Oh wait, that wasn't gas............the ice finally defrosted It drained for about 3 minutes like that. Can't wait to inspect that one.

73.jpg

Pulled the MAG guillotine, again it's not bad for never being apart for a cleaning.

74.jpg

75.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back