96 SPX no start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Silvafelipe

Just picked up a 96 spx with the 717 rotax engine, I am trying to figure out if the motor is locked up. Where can I crank by hand to check? Spark plug was very corroded. Would only get a single beep when pressing the start button. Pulled the starter out and tested it, works fine

Any help is appreciated !

Attachments

• IMG_4024.jpeg
    IMG_4024.jpeg
    668.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4057.jpeg
    IMG_4057.jpeg
    286 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4054.jpeg
    IMG_4054.jpeg
    347.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4053.jpeg
    IMG_4053.jpeg
    472.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4037.jpeg
    IMG_4037.jpeg
    347.2 KB · Views: 21
In your 4th picture from the top you can see the pto flywheel at the back of the engine, with the plugs out you should be able to rotate that by hand if the engine and/or impeller is not seized. From the corrosion on those plugs I would guess that there’s been water in the engine for a fair amount of time

In your 4th picture from the top you can see the pto flywheel at the back of the engine, with the plugs out you should be able to rotate that by hand if the engine and/or impeller is not seized. From the corrosion on those plugs I would guess that there’s been water in the engine for a fair amount of time
unfortunately, I am not able to rotate by hand. Should I remove the jet pump to see if that or the motor is seized?

To turn it by hand just go to the end of the motor (picture four) and grab that big plate and use it....but by just looking at the spark plugs you may have some corrosion on the cylinder walls too, making it hard for the engine to turn over. I would get some Seadoo oil or fogging oil and put some in the spark plug holes, let it soak, try and turn it after that with spark plugs out and by hand. If your starter works you can just tap the start button and see it the extra torque will turn it over too, caution this could mess something up if the pistons are stuck with rust/dirt in the cylinder walls. Disconnecting the pump will also help, because you don't know the condition of it.
Three other things.. you can take the rave valves out and use a flash light to see what the cylinders walls/pistons look like (somewhat) or if you have a borescope you could put it in the spark plug hole and see what you can see. Lastly, if you are mechanically inclined you could take the head off and do a thorough inspection, but you would need a new head gasket and small stuff for reassembly.

Good luck, lets us know what you find.

I think this is a 717 or 657? With no rave valves? You could take the exhaust manifold off and have a look through there but I think you would get a better idea by taking the cylinder covers off, there is no gasket there, just some o rings which can be re used if they are in good condition.

To turn it by hand just go to the end of the motor (picture four) and grab that big plate and use it....but by just looking at the spark plugs you may have some corrosion on the cylinder walls too, making it hard for the engine to turn over. I would get some Seadoo oil or fogging oil and put some in the spark plug holes, let it soak, try and turn it after that with spark plugs out and by hand. If your starter works you can just tap the start button and see it the extra torque will turn it over too, caution this could mess something up if the pistons are stuck with rust/dirt in the cylinder walls. Disconnecting the pump will also help, because you don't know the condition of it.
Three other things.. you can take the rave valves out and use a flash light to see what the cylinders walls/pistons look like (somewhat) or if you have a borescope you could put it in the spark plug hole and see what you can see. Lastly, if you are mechanically inclined you could take the head off and do a thorough inspection, but you would need a new head gasket and small stuff for reassembly.

Thank you for your breakdown of the process! Is the plate you are referring to this by chance? I sprayed pb blaster in the cylinder holes this morning going to let it sit overnight to try again. This pump you mentioned removing, you’re talking about the jet pump?

Attachments

• IMG_4116.jpeg
    IMG_4116.jpeg
    217.1 KB · Views: 16
I think this is a 717 or 657? With no rave valves? You could take the exhaust manifold off and have a look through there but I think you would get a better idea by taking the cylinder covers off, there is no gasket there, just some o rings which can be re used if they are in good condition.
Thank you. This one is the 717 i’m not sure about rave valves

Thank you! I am currently taking the head off to try and inspect everything

Thank you for your breakdown of the process! Is the plate you are referring to this by chance? I sprayed pb blaster in the cylinder holes this morning going to let it sit overnight to try again. This pump you mentioned removing, you’re talking about the jet pump?

Thank you! I am currently taking the head off to try and inspect everything
This is what the cylinders look like currently

Attachments

• IMG_4154.jpeg
    IMG_4154.jpeg
    577.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4154.jpeg
    IMG_4154.jpeg
    577.1 KB · Views: 13
That is pretty nasty. Can you feel pitting with your finger/Can you wipe off the rust on the cylinder wall? Any movement on hand cranking it , with lube?

I picked up a 95 SPX, not as bad as yours, still I had to clean the pistons and walls. Re-did the electric box since MPMEM was fried so I replaced everything, cleaned the carbs and new seals, make sure you replace the needles and seats. Now it runs like a bandido. Bit of work but well deserved.

Back