1997 XP - Just completed my first ride - I have questions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

g_campbell

Hey guys,

I just completed my first ride on my 1997 XP. I bought the XP broken and rebuilt the engine. Bored it .030 over. But anyway I have a few questions and one issue that I need to address.

Question first, let's start off by saying the VTS is broken, working on that... But I set the VTS to what I believe to be neutral. When i rode it today, when I hit the gas, it seems like it's "spinning" in the water and not moving. Once I hit it a couple times, it started moving and eventually caught. Is there something wrong with my jet drive or is it because the VTS was set to neutral?

Also, none of my gauges work at all. They all move when I turn the ignition on so I know they're plugged in. And my oil light stays on even though it's half full. So i know they're plugged up.

Also, may or may not be related; when I plug my key into the DESS post. I hear no beep beep. But obviously it runs.

thanks in advance!199

Replace the beeper, it should be inside the bar pad. You can get an equivalent at radio shack but they suck, at least mine did.

If the ski revs up but goes no where the wear ring is probably shot. Pull the pump and take a look see. Post pics if necessary

Replace the beeper, it should be inside the bar pad. You can get an equivalent at radio shack but they suck, at least mine did.

If the ski revs up but goes no where the wear ring is probably shot. Pull the pump and take a look see. Post pics if necessary

Is that the best place to get one? it's not that big of a deal if it doesn't beep. From what I can see without removing the jet pump, the wear ring appears to be in pretty good shape. No gouges if that's what I'm looking for. And the wear ring causes that? May I ask how?

The wear ring should just about be making contact the the impeller. If you can fit a dime between the blade and the ring, it's shot. Heck, I don't even like to see a gap in mine thicker than a two sheets of paper. You really should pull the pump to inspect it if you haven't. There could be stuff missing off the leading edge causing turbulence and creating air in the pump shoe.

Jet pumps may look like a prop on a boat, but they are very different. As Racerxxx said, the ring should nearly be touching. Any gap and the water escapes around the impeller instead of being moved front to back through the impeller.

Last edited by a moderator:
The wear ring should just about be making contact the the impeller. If you can fit a dime between the blade and the ring, it's shot. Heck, I don't even like to see a gap in mine thicker than a two sheets of paper. You really should pull the pump to inspect it if you haven't. There could be stuff missing off the leading edge causing turbulence and creating air in the pump shoe.

Here's a pic from under the jet ski. You can see where something got in there and some point and made several chips in the fiberglass. But you're probably right about checking everything over. If i do pull the jet pump apart, what should I be looking for? What are things to check? And do i need any special tools? Also, I planned to ride it all weekend, been waiting two months!! Lol Is it okay to drive it with a bad wear ring? Still in the break in period, so I won't be doing nothing crazy.

P_20160727_225004.jpg

Your missing the boot on the impeller and that wear ring looks pretty rough but I can't see the gap in the picture. Also mahe sure you are running with the intake grate on.

Also keep in mind that if it is cavitating very bad it will not be pumping enough water for the cooling system either and could overheat but you won't know because your beeper is bad.

As far as the beeper it not only lets you know the lanyard is recognized but also your only warning that it is overheating.
THe correct one is SP-1136 direct from Floyd Bell and they are only $17.50 but they will charge you another $17 is shipping.

Your missing the boot on the impeller and that wear ring looks pretty rough but I can't see the gap in the picture. Also mahe sure you are running with the intake grate on.

Also keep in mind that if it is cavitating very bad it will not be pumping enough water for the cooling system either and could overheat but you won't know because your beeper is bad.

As far as the beeper it not only lets you know the lanyard is recognized but also your only warning that it is overheating.
THe correct one is SP-1136 direct from Floyd Bell and they are only $17.50 but they will charge you another $17 is shipping.

Is the intake grate not on? What do you mean? Also what boot is supposed to be there. And okay well that's no good. I guess ill have to be extra careful about it.

Yep. Missing intake grate. On the bottom right of the impeller pic I can see the gap, and it is too big. Boot missing from shaft to impeller.

Yep, your grate is missing. It helps to load (scoop water) into the pump and protects the pump/impeller. That will cause cavitation.

Yep. Missing intake grate. On the bottom right of the impeller pic I can see the gap, and it is too big. Boot missing from shaft to impeller.

Found a local guy with a stock grate and he said he'd install the wear ring including the part for $80. Score. Ditched work so I could go do those right now. Cough Cough so sick. Lol Please upload a pic of the boot so i can ask him about that as well.

Found a local guy with a stock grate and he said he'd install the wear ring including the part for $80. Score. Ditched work so I could go do those right now. Cough Cough so sick. Lol Please upload a pic of the boot so i can ask him about that as well.

Use an OEM or Delrin ring. Anything else you will be doing it again.

Use an OEM or Delrin ring. Anything else you will be doing it again.

The one he installed looked like it was from SBT. Is that good or bad? I do still see space in between the two. He said the prop was getting worn down. But he didn't have the intake grate like he said he did. So which of the two is really causing my problem? I don't see how the grate could cause cavitation. Seems like it just keeps stuff from going in. Should I opt for the prop or grate? My next question on both is should I replace with stock or opt for performance parts?

I would get rid of the SBT wear ring,,

Seriously, OEM or Delrin. Others simply are not made as good and don't fit as well...

Any given brand, such as SBT can be perfect on any given day. The law of averages is against you..

Yep, been replacing rings for friends from SBT to aftermarket ones to oem. All oem ones fit perfect, sbt are hit and miss and a lot rub A LOT.

+1 on the Derlrin ones. they are solid all the way through. so they don't split in 1/2 and fail when you suck up a tiny pebble. Rather you lose a bit of performance vs. ruining your day.

also, the intake grate stops hands and feet from being CHOPPED OFF by the impeller. For safety, please find one.

+1 on the Derlrin ones. they are solid all the way through. so they don't split in 1/2 and fail when you suck up a tiny pebble. Rather you lose a bit of performance vs. ruining your day.

also, the intake grate stops hands and feet from being CHOPPED OFF by the impeller. For safety, please find one.

So we're back to saying it's the wear ring again? Is there a chance in could be the prop? Also, does anyone have a stock XP grate they'd be willing to sell?

Chances are much smaller that it is a prop issue. That is unless there is visual damage to it or someone has swapped it out from stock. For cavitation, it will most likely be wear ring or carbon ring.

Chances are much smaller that it is a prop issue. That is unless there is visual damage to it or someone has swapped it out from stock. For cavitation, it will most likely be wear ring or carbon ring.

I don't think it is stock. It's not damaged in anyway but it does look like it was "sharpened". How do I get to the carbon ring? He gave me one of those as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back