My first mistake…..

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Mitters

Hi all, ok as I mentioned in my intro post, total noob here, already done some dumb ass mistakes in only 2 outings….
anyway weed infested lake, sucked up some rocks etc etc. when I took the boat out the first time, I managed to avoid weeds fairly well and the boat performed well, it would do about 41 mph and then any higher revs, it would cavitate. I could see some pretty rough edges on the front of the impeller from just looking through the intake grates, no idea of/when the PO did any ring or impeller work. Anyhow when I docked, I had my wife hold the rope but I left the boat idling in neutral while I backed the trailer down. First mistake…. It floated over a shallow bar and sucked up some nice size rocks…. i thought I pulled them all out from the rear but obviously you can see I didn’t even see these 2. The next day we launched and had to go through some weeds, sure enough picked some up but wasn’t able to get them to fall out. Long story short, mistake 2, we drove it slowly like 2700 rpm for about 20 minutes and then gave up and trailered it. Massive pile of weeds but some could have been added on the loading in run too.
Cleaned up the weeds and tried a different boat launch as I was still thinking it was a weed problem, oblivious to the rocks that were not seeming to hamper the engine or make any noise…. As soon as we got the boat to the launch just down the road, we started it up in the water and the temp buzzer sounded and it died.
trailered and went home. Tonight I tore it apart as I knew there was issues. I don’t see any problem with the wear ring or prop 😁
grrr… so ordered the shaft tool and ring, will shop for an OEM prop. My question to you much more knowledgeable guys/gals is why did it overheat? I cannot find these “3 small holes” people talk about and I did flush it when I got home water poured out of the jet area through that black round grate. What can I check? Obviously something is/was plugged or maybe it was so weed packed and cavitation that it wouldn’t push enough water?
thanks in advance for any advice….. no need to call me a dumb ass, I did a lot of that myself😁

Attachments

• FA1542EA-9932-48AC-BCB0-BC78AB5DBD59.jpeg
    FA1542EA-9932-48AC-BCB0-BC78AB5DBD59.jpeg
    296 KB · Views: 32
  • 65140B22-6B24-41C7-AF6C-BB6D721E01D6.jpeg
    65140B22-6B24-41C7-AF6C-BB6D721E01D6.jpeg
    301.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Oh yeah, I see water in that center area where the drive shaft inserts. Is that normal or is that front rubber boot not doing its job around the shaft anaymore?

Hi all, I have the housing off and just looking around, should the bailer tubes not have O rings where it attaches to the boat mount? Seems like they only have O rings between the pump housing and the Venturi. Mine have sand in them, obviously no O rings were ever here…
thanks for replies.

Attachments

• 507ABECE-F025-46C7-BF49-A44EFC9C3B0A.jpeg
    507ABECE-F025-46C7-BF49-A44EFC9C3B0A.jpeg
    188.6 KB · Views: 25
Hi Spun, thanks for the reply … a bit hard to get here. I think most are pwc owners not full boats….
yes, I did look at the exploded diagram and there are none shown, but it seemed weird that there were O rings at the nozzle joint but not farther up at the housing joint. Guess that’s what it is. I also found out on here that the 3 holes that everyone talks about for cooling are only on a pwc.

Update…. So I replaced the prop that I wrecked with rocks, and the wear ring was of course toast. Bought a seal for the slow leak for the reverse gate cable and should have a properly working jet now. Surfing the site, I found several threads on flushing. I flushed and had water running out of the suction port at the top of the Venturi area, but to be sure that I didn’t plug the smaller lines to the muffler, can I pull one off while flushing to see that there is water running in to muffler ? Anyone ever see this?
TIA

Download a service manual for your ski it will answer a lot of your questions. It will show you the path of the cooling water from the pump, thru the exhaust, and out the back, and also where the 3 holes are that aspirate the water into muffler. Its important to get the collars all lined up when you put it back together and that is explained in the manual also.

make sure all 3 “O” rings are in place,,sometimes they will fall off when installing the pump,,,I crazy glue them on before I install the pump.

Thanks all, I have the service manual , it shows the path but there is no way to see if the 2 small pipes going into the muffler are plugged without pulling one off during flushing. I was wondering if any boat owners have tried it. the challenger only has 2 o rings on the Venturi apparatus.
I will fire it up tomorrow and see what happens with one of the muffler cooling hoses off.

Well I went out and flushed it briefly with the small top hose off the muffler. In case anyone else sees this thread, and needs to know… yes, the water also sprays out of it when flushing. Thanks all

Back