hey hey! Newbie did my first run today, made a few mistakes

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

scottyGTX

So reverse was a surprise, went the opposite way as the trailer so I dinged a couple pilings on my way out of the marina while getting weird looks (not going to fast thankfully). Made sure the drain plugs were IN, but forgot to take them out afterwards (is that bad? Maybe I'll go back tomorrow). Oh, first time launching it at a boat ramp too (found a guy thank goodness to help. I did watch about an hour of dumbasses submerging their truck and that WASN'T/ISN'T gonna be me!).

Two questions- 1) How do you get water out of the foot well? I used one sandal and hopped around lol. 2) This is big. Afterwards when I flushing it (hose to quick connect) smoke was coming out (clear, but smelled like exhaust which I strangely like). It's got 125 hrs. and I did screw up and go in 2 feet of water not knowing I was hoovering up the ocean floor like a catfish. Anyway, happy to be here! Got up to 60mph before I was afraid the smile would be permanent.

For reference, it's a 2018 GTX 230 Limited and it's sweeet

1. Sponge

2. Is there a question there? If the engine is running it will smell like exhaust, and operating in 2 ft of water is definitely bad.

3. Leaving the plugs in is better than leaving them out, definitely go back tomorrow and you can tell the wifey you forgot to take the plugs out.

Drain plugs: No need to remove them if you verify there is no excess water in the hull.
Be careful; if you over torque the plugs, you can inadvertently unscrew the plug housing and it can be a real PITA to reinstall.

Tighten them "just enough". If they pop out (not likely), there is a ball valve that prevents water from coming in.

Backing up the trailer: Once you have your trailer lined up with the ramp, drop the tail gate. It'll provide better visibility.
Consider installing posts on the back of the trailer.

Water in footwells: Shop vac

Flushing: Make damn sure you follow the correct procedure: 1) Start engine 2) turn on water (DO NOT RUN MORE THAN 2 MINUTES) 3) turn off water 4) stop engine. Expect white steam during this process.

Pull the seat off after every ride and check for white deposits. That would be salt deposits and means you need to fully rinse the engine bay. Rinse, allow to dry and spray with Lanox.

Drain plugs: No need to remove them if you verify there is no excess water in the hull.
Be careful; if you over torque the plugs, you can inadvertently unscrew the plug housing and it can be a real PITA to reinstall.

Tighten them "just enough". If they pop out (not likely), there is a ball valve that prevents water from coming in.

Backing up the trailer: Once you have your trailer lined up with the ramp, drop the tail gate. It'll provide better visibility.
Consider installing posts on the back of the trailer.

Water in footwells: Shop vac

Flushing: Make damn sure you follow the correct procedure: 1) Start engine 2) turn on water (DO NOT RUN MORE THAN 2 MINUTES) 3) turn off water 4) stop engine. Expect white steam during this process.

Pull the seat off after every ride and check for white deposits. That would be salt deposits and means you need to fully rinse the engine bay. Rinse, allow to dry and spray with Lanox.
Thanks! Good idea with the posts for trailer. I have a jeep so I can't see squat when the ski is off

Back