1997 XP supercharger whine

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

thzpcs

So, to just get it out of the way: Yes, I am very dumb, should have read the stickies, etc etc. With that out of the way, I'm looking for some assistance with a 1997 XP a friend recently purchased. After having just bought a non-running 1996 XP and finding it was gummed up and flooding due to the dreaded Tempo lines, I replaced them and all seems well on that one.

Now, my buddy found a decent deal on a '97 that he liked the look of, and everything seemed to be in working order. We did a quick test on the lake, they had a list of the stuff that'd been done recently, and it seemed to be in far better shape than my 96 so the thought of checking the fuel lines just slipped my mind. We did a quick test on the lake, and all seemed good, so we went ahead and bought it.

Fast forward to a week later when we first take it out on the lake, and everything is fine for about 5 minutes. Power seems good, but the throttle response was a bit off. I also noticed a what can only be described as a "supercharger whine" coming from the front of the ski that varied with RPM. It didn't get any louder through the ride, but it was definitely noticeable. Before I could get back to the dock, it started to sputter a bit and died. I moved the lever over to reserve and it started up a bit, but now basically only runs at WOT, cruising at a leisurely 5MPH or so, which was enough to get me back to shore.

Now, I'm going to be doing a rebuild of the carbs regardless and replace those damn fuel lines, but I'm a bit worried that we might've done some damage, and it'd be good to know what to check as a precaution. If it is just the carbs and it fires right back up, it'd also be good to know what that "supercharger whine" is.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Assuming the engine is ok it could be the rear driveshaft support bearing or the jet pump making the noise.

If it’s the engine then likely a crank or balancer shaft bearing or the rotary gear going out.

Assuming the engine is ok it could be the rear driveshaft support bearing or the jet pump making the noise.

If it’s the engine then likely a crank or balancer shaft bearing or the rotary gear going out.

It definitely sounds like it's coming from the front, so I'm guessing it's probably the engine. The driveshaft bearing is in the rear end with the zerk fitting, correct?

I'm also presuming checking any of the latter in the engine would be a full engine-out rebuild at that point anyway. No glitter to look for in the oil or anything really

It definitely sounds like it's coming from the front, so I'm guessing it's probably the engine. The driveshaft bearing is in the rear end with the zerk fitting, correct?
Correct, with the zerk fitting.
I'm also presuming checking any of the latter in the engine would be a full engine-out rebuild at that point anyway. No glitter to look for in the oil or anything really
These don't have oil in the crankcase like a car so no oil to check for debris.
It is probably a bearing going out then.

Back