1996 seadoo gts not running at high rpm

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

gupta12342

i have a 1996 seadoo gts we took it out to the lake and then after about the first 10 min of running it at top speed the rpms started to drop to only mid speed we slowly went back to the dock at mid speed because that's all it would go when i gave it more throttle it would sound like it tried to go up for a short second then stay at mid rpm speed or just start to die down until i let out some throttle to mid throttle again we have cleaned out the carb, changed spark plugs, checked compression before winter.

Open the fuel cap. If RPMs return you have a plugged vent. Unplug the rectifier. If RPMs return replace the rectifier. Best test for the latter is, wait for the issue to present itself. When it does unplug the rectifier. You will know almost instantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply, if i unplug the rectifier what would be differant about the jet ski in other words why cant i just leave it unpluged instead of replaceing it. if it was a pluged vent how would i unplug it. i also heard that it could be the coil does this sound like something i should also check.

Thanks for the reply, if i unplug the rectifier what would be differant about the jet ski in other words why cant i just leave it unpluged instead of replaceing it. if it was a pluged vent how would i unplug it. i also heard that it could be the coil does this sound like something i should also check.

While plugged in, the rectifier charges the battery. When they start to fail they tend to produce a small A/C current and this really screws with the ski. So, once it acts up, if you unplug it the problem will go away instantly but you will not be charging your battery.

The vent; I have read some have blown it out and where they have replaced them. By removing the cap, it will act as a vent as it is open to the atmosphere.

OK so i just started the seadoo in the driveway it took a lot of cranking but it start after awhile and then i was able to turn it off and start it right back up but i looked at the back of it where the water would come out of and on the ground there was a puddle of milky oily water could this mean a seal or something in the engine is letting water leak into the engine until it eventually dies?

Whats the compression now?
Does it have grey fuel lines?

It would happen on my old 96GTI.
If I would father throttle the HS would come back but opening gas cap helped.
Be careful to not get water in.
So its what Coastie said could be bad.

no it does not have gray fuel lines but why was there oily water coming out of it

Can you post a pic of oil?
Is it brown or black.

2 strokes will spit out oil out of the exhaust after they been sitting.
The rotary seal leaks and all the unburnt oil is puked out when it starts for the first time
Was it winterized?

the only winterizeation we did was putting a few drops of oil in the pistons and pumping antifreeze through the cooling lines but it has been to the lake after the winter was over so the antifreeze would be out of there the lake was about 2 weeks ago so that was the last time it was started so it has been sitting for about 2 weeks and the stuff coming out of it was a grayish black color i also did not see it being spit out at all all i did was look back there after reeving it a few times then say the puddle of oily water

I ask about the winterization b/c it leads to cylinders cracking??

So this was the first time out it since winterizing it and it wouldn't run at WOT?

I would start with the basics again jik.
Check compression again to make sure nothing is wrong with the engine.
Then put another set of fresh plugs. The other set may be fouled due to extra oil.

Then go back and water test it. If it happens again open gas cap then try to start it again and see what happens.

Like I said, it would happen to me and it eventually would come back to life once it purged itself.
:mad:

no it does not have gray fuel lines but why was there oily water coming out of it

Chances are the crank seal is bad. It is a VERY common issue. Basically what happens is, the oil from your tank sits against the crank seal, if the ski sits for some time and the seal is getting weak, oil seeps past the seal and into the engine. Which basically allows he oil to go into the cylinders and pass into the exhaust just like air does. Water also goes into the exhaust as it is part of how it cools the exhaust. Thus, any oil coming past the seal will go to the exhaust and mix with the water. This is your water/oil mix you are seeing. The engine needs to be pulled in order to change the seal. Most do NOT change the seal but put a shut off valve on the oil line that feeds the engine to prevent the issue you are having.

Not sure if you know this or not, but the running in the driveway thing with the hose is to be done for less than 2 minutes. The hose is NOT used for cooling as much as it is used to back-flush the water system to clean it out.

ok thank you for the help i agree pulling the engine would be very hard to do

1. how many hours do you think it would take a mechanic to repair the seal

2. can i still use it this weekend without the putting the valve on the line

3. how often does the seal go bad

4. would the valve prevent a new seal from going bad

and i do know about running the seadoo out of the water

thank you everyone for replying so quickly

ok thank you for the help i agree pulling the engine would be very hard to do

1. how many hours do you think it would take a mechanic to repair the seal

2. can i still use it this weekend without the putting the valve on the line

3. how often does the seal go bad

4. would the valve prevent a new seal from going bad

and i do know about running the seadoo out of the water

thank you everyone for replying so quickly

1). Don't know,,, but many will. I have not done the job.
2). Yep, you can use it no problem. Put oil in the tank and have fun. It is not normally an issue when it is running.
3). It is a common failure, but again, really only an issue when sitting long periods.
4). I would say yes. But if you do it, I STRONGLY suggest hanging your lanyard on the valve. Forget to turn the valve on and you will DESTROY your engine.

Don't bother repairing seal. It's very very common.
Many run it until it leaks so bad that it hydro locks piston.
You can put a inline shut off and put your key there to remind you to open it..
The seal is on the crank and the engine has to be opened up.
Usually you replace crank vs replacing just the seal.
Cost vs labor thing! Looks like $225 plus labor to remove engine and open it up........
http://www.shopsbt.com/seadoo-jetsk...crankshaft-657-657x-xp-gtx-spx-1993-1995.html

Try what we said and start fresh. Hopefully it was just a pre season fluke!

Its the red seal

Had to post a pic of the rotating assembly!

20140514_1331381_zps46f04242.jpg

OK i will try it on the lake and see if the first problem is fixed and if this seal is the second problem then i will just leave the seal and put a valve on the oil line

OK i will try it on the lake and see if the first problem is fixed and if this seal is the second problem then i will just leave the seal and put a valve on the oil line

Just remember to post back outcome
:thumbsup:

OK i will and

what did you mean by hydro locking the piston

is this bad is this expensive to repair

how does this happen

and will it happen to me if it don't repair the seal

and will it happen if i put a valve on the oil line

OK i will and

what did you mean by hydro locking the piston

is this bad is this expensive to repair

how does this happen

and will it happen to me if it don't repair the seal

and will it happen if i put a valve on the oil line

It when the seal leaks so much oil that it fills cylinder and thus keep it from starting.
Oil will usually shoot out spark plug holes when it happens.
The shut off will prevent from oil seeping past seal when ski sits for a long time.
Otherwise 2 strokes will burn oil.
:D

It also happens when you try to start it and flood it with gas.
It will take a few hard starts to clear combustion chamber of excess fluid.

If it ever does just take plugs out and hit start button while holding rag over holes.

You'll be fine. Just don't venture far jik you run into a problem for the first few minutes of testing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with all the above. The guys have given you good advise, I have had a leaky crank seal for a while now. Its not too bad, if I let it sit for more then a week then it will spew out some excess oil on start up. Give it a few braaps of the throttle and it will clear up. I like to do that before going to the boat launch keeps the heavy smoke and oil slick at home.

is yours hard to start after a about 3 weeks of sitting then after starting it and reving it to clear out oil it starts right up fine?

That's correct, once the excess fluid gets burn up it starts great all day long.

Sent using Tapatalk

OK so i took it out to the lake and it had the same problem as at the beginning of this post it was missing the high rpm so we messed with the carb and got it to go to a high rpm but it went back to the same problem as before do you think it could bad bad fuel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back