1996 seadoo spx 717 cant get top end rpms

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

superdoo22

Hey all, I have a 1996 seadoo spx that I picked up off a guy in nom start condition. Replaced the cdi box causing a no spark condition/ replaced the plug wires/caps. Took carbs out and cleaned out the filters/any crud. Replaced all fuel lines with ss clamps. Cleaned out fuel selector valve. 150 psi in both cylinders. Put a new wear ring in. Ran great for maybe a day or two and then died on the water under throttle. Restarted and still have good bottom range throttle up to mid range then it won't gain any more rpms, it doesn't want to get off plane. Took carbs out and checked filters. Almost spotless but one had a little crud in it. Set high speed to 1/8 and low speed to 1 1/4 put it back in the water same issue. Closed the high speed and I can't tell maybe it runs a little bit better but not sure. Took red plug off rectifier and also didn't change anything. Can't find this issue on the forums and I'm at a loss. What would cause a lack in the ability to get high rpms? Should I go back to the carbs? Is the fuel selector valve leaking air but only when I'm trying to demand wide open throttle? Any help is appreciated

Rebuild carburetors, follow the sticky in the front of the two-stroke section
Replace the fuel valve, replaced water/ fuel separator gasket
MIKUNI PARTS ONLY….
new needle and seats
set pop off
dont skip a step

I have 41 and 40 psi for pop off in the carbs. Should I try fuel selector/water separator gasket before tackling the carbs again?

I did the same remediation to my 96 xp and still going strong, will try to rule out fuel. Can't find anything in manual about lack in top end speed

OEM carb rebuild done, swapped fuel lines / new fuel filter to rule out a bad clamp or crap in lines since fuel tank wasn't spotless. Fired it up on hose and still sputtering after that half throttle mark. Would my ignition box be issues. Replaced it off one from Amazon when I first bought the machine?

That could be the problem, I’ve seen a fair number of times before where parts from Amazon have caused issues. For used parts try Westside power sports @Minnetonka4me . Is that a 787? Did you try inspecting the rave bellows/ cleaning the guillotine’s? When you did the carburetors did you take the jets out and make sure carb cleaner was making its way through those circuits?

You can also run a fuel line off the top of the fuel baffle either from the ON or the RES to rule out the fuel selector valve and the filter. I don’t think they are your problem but...

That could be the problem, I’ve seen a fair number of times before where parts from Amazon have caused issues. For used parts try Westside power sports @Minnetonka4me . Is that a 787? Did you try inspecting the rave bellows/ cleaning the guillotine’s? When you did the carburetors did you take the jets out and make sure carb cleaner was making its way through those circuits?
It's a 717 1996 spx so no raves to worry about. The whole carb has been cleaned/rebuilt with mikuni parts so I'm not leaning towards fuel being the issue anymore since i redid fuel selector valve/water separator. I'll check out that link for used parts

I would look at the voltage regulator, when the go bad they cause your exact symptoms.

Back