1996 GTX - Idle jumps 1K to 2K rpm .... let go of throttle and dies?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
95% of the ski has been rebuilt by a Pro.
Everything is in 100% Like new working condition.
It is a NEW Ski!!!! All said and done $4000 into it.
11/2012

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Purple....

Just hope it is not the RV. I have already put
money I don't have into getting this ski to run
right. Not trying to question your experience
but why do you think it is 100% the starter?.

Is there something I can do to check that it is just the starter?

Again, Thank you so much for your advice.
If I hit the lotto you will get your choice of any jet ski
you want...
He's not saying that's your problem. I have two of those skis and they made that same sound when the starter became dissengaged from the flywheel. If that were my ski I'd shut the fuel off and pull the spark plugs and spin the motor over and see how much fuel comes out. Then I'd put a little fuel/oil mix down the spark plug holes, Gap and insert new plugs and go for it. Don't forget to turn the fuel back on.

Did you do a compression check yet? If you don't have a gauge beg borrow steal (j/k) a gauge and get that done. Don't play pin the tail on the donkey, it could save you alot of money in the long run.

11/2012

I have the same ski. Gap on NGK BR8ES should be .5-.6 mm or .020-.024in

Yes, same mix...no more than 1/4 teaspoon.

11/2012

Sethsmind you forgot one....dont forget SBT Motor installed in the beginning of all this. This thing has been a nightmare. Im wondering if that pressed in Brass fitting slipped. Remember the last time it was in the timing was way out... Dialed in the timing and ran great. Met you at the beach and changed plugs fired it up......I rode it around hard for about 15 min...then I left and you guys took off on it and had problems again. Im sure it will get figured out.

Sethsmind you forgot one....dont forget SBT Motor installed in the beginning of all this. This thing has been a nightmare. Im wondering if that pressed in Brass fitting slipped. Remember the last time it was in the timing was way out... Dialed in the timing and ran great. Met you at the beach and changed plugs fired it up......I rode it around hard for about 15 min...then I left and you guys took off on it and had problems again. Im sure it will get figured out.

Was ski at your store getting fixed.
I'm still waiting for compression numbers.
But with new info I'm leaning to RV gear.
Can't engine come out and back to SBT for inspection??

Yep it has been at our store. I have to look at the tech report again but I think he still had perfect compression. When I met him at the beach and cleared it out (it was loaded up very bad)...and threw some fresh plugs in it, it ran great. As a matter of fact when I took it out, it was way smoother and better running then my GTX ever was. I put it threw a few different situation trying to get it to act up. Idle, Mid Throttle, wide open...wide open from a dead stop....shut it off and re-started perfect several times. I gave it back,and him and his brother got on. I watched them leave, then I got in my car and left...The next day I got a call that its not right again... I think this ski just has a gremlin in it LOL!! After the compression test the next thing we are testing is the timing again...if its way out then he has bigger problems

Yep it has been at our store. I have to look at the tech report again but I think he still had perfect compression. When I met him at the beach and cleared it out (it was loaded up very bad)...and threw some fresh plugs in it, it ran great. As a matter of fact when I took it out, it was way smoother and better running then my GTX ever was. I put it threw a few different situation trying to get it to act up. Idle, Mid Throttle, wide open...wide open from a dead stop....shut it off and re-started perfect several times. I gave it back,and him and his brother got on. I watched them leave, then I got in my car and left...The next day I got a call that its not right again... I think this ski just has a gremlin in it LOL!! After the compression test the next thing we are testing is the timing again...if its way out then he has bigger problems

Hopefully he still under warranty..........
He should be in good hands if your trying to solve issue.

Yeah I feel bad. This ski has kinda went from one thing to another. SBT only covers warranty on the part..not the labor...Im tryng to get this handled for him with no more expense out of his pocket.

One other thing I wanted to say. The starter issues he had, was a problem with the flywheel in the ski having the wrong number of teeth.. If I remember right we put the correct flywheel in it at no charge. Im just trying to help him get this thing on the water so he cango enjoy it with out a bunch of issues

I second a compression test, anytime I check an engine I run a simple compression test on these, takes litterally less then 5 mins to do.

that is policy at our shop...... all skis that come in with a running condition they get a compression test before anything else.

Yeah I hope so.. unfortunatly he only did the SBT top end...Nobody has dont anything with the bottom end.

By the way Rampage, Thank you for everything.
In and out of the shop. I think you and I are the
only ones who know the amount of time and $
to get this ski on the water.

UPDATE:
Ski has been rebuilt by a Pro.
11/2012

Just pulled my records. Let me know what you All.

9/2/2011 R&R Top End - Cylinder Exch top end kit - $948.00 (Took one month to get ski back)
9/17/2012 Replaced starter - $280.00 (Had to bring ski back 3 times in 4 days for this one)
9/23/2011 R&R Carbs - Oring outter - w/ New Fuel Lines - $368.00
4/3/2012 Brass rotary gear may be slipping which caused
latest problem. Might need new motor. Cleaned Carbs for rough running.... rotary valve timing reset and
now runs great. $255.00 Starter does not seem to be engaging right... Fly wheel
and Starter replaced in Sept. 2011

Now on 4/16/2012 they told me oil ratio to rich. Switch to 46:1

Everything stated above was right from the work orders.
With every problem I had (yes every one of them) they never
fixed it the first time and I had to drop my ski off over and over and
over.

So I paid $255 for the latest on going problem and the ski is still
not fixed.

Just about a year and and I have been in the water maybe 45
min. tops all together.

I fully understand problems happen, boats , cars etc. but to pay for
a job and have to bring it back every time over and over.... I just want to
enjoy my ski.... is this treatment normal???

Thanks for any advice

So SBT will not cover the RV gear issue because it's bottom end?

Sent first motor back because of a piston, got second motor with a bad piston. Sent that back
and now I have this one from them. 2X the motor went back to them and now
they won't cover it?

Almost hitting 1 year
and it's been in the water running at the most
2 hours all together (15 min. - 20 min on an off).
Rest of the time in the shop or my garage
with one problem after another, after another.

By the way Rampage, Thank you for everything.
In and out of the shop. I think you and I are the
only ones who know the amount of time and $
spent trying to get this ski on the water.

Dude that totally blows.

Unfortunately that happens. Once a engine goes where pistons are needed the bottom should of been taken apart and opened at least.
For what you spent on the top end you could of gotten a engine exchange?? Don't know who dropped the ball there.

You can take engine out your self its not that hard. Then its take the top off again and put on another bottom end.
You can find new bottom end w/cases for ~500 bucks.

Most of the money you wasted was by leaving it to the dealer. Carb cleaning :mad:
All those repairs could of easily been done by you with a little time.

So Q is what are you going to do??
What are you out so far? The 2k in dealer repair plus 500-600 to get it running again your still over 3k
but under ??
Its still salvage b/c ski is near mint and you'll have it for a long time running right with this site.

Another idea find a used 100 core send that in to sbt for the 1000 plus and have a 2nd engine sitting on the side as spare or sell it and get some money back.

UPDATE:
Ski has been rebuilt by a Pro.
11/2012

Here is its location in the case.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEADOO-717-720-Rotax-Engines-cases-Crankcase-Rotary-Gear-6810650-6810660-/140745862702?pt=Personal_Watercraft_Parts&hash=item20c51b6e2e&vxp=mtr#ht_3497wt_1219

Here is a damaged one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seadoo-580-587-657-718-720-XP-SPX-GTS-GTX-GTI-Rotary-Valve-Driver-Shaft-Gear-/130683756381?
pt=Personal_Watercraft_Parts&hash=item1e6d5bdf5d&vxp=mtr#ht_1190wt_986

What they did what only the top half of the engine where piston goes up/down in the cylinder.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seadoo-787-800-engine-top-end-rebuild-kit-pistons-bore-/320637197352?pt=Personal_Watercraft_Parts&hash=item4aa7775c28&vxp=mtr#ht_2554wt_986
Look at it as a learning curve. As long as the top end is fine then its a matter of swapping parts.

Dude I really feel bad and would be feeling the same way.
Whats with the different BS oil ratios. Like that is going to fix something mechanical.

Theres nothing really left to do. The dealer is washing their hands b/c the complete engine was never exchanged in the first place like this.
http://www.shopsbt.com/seadoo_jet-ski_engine_premium/P40-107.html

It is buyer beware when you trust someone else to work on your things.

So now you can remove just the RV gear for 100 bucks but the engine has to come out to replace. But all the shavings from the gear are in the crank bearing waiting to cause damage it not already.

You have one of two choices.

#1 how bad you want to ride? Go find another 2 stroke b/c they are going for cheap on some places ready to ride with everything rebuilt. You could get some money back by parting it by pieces non working skis w/trailer go for ~500 bucks.
#2 Spend the extra money and rebuild it. But cost of ski is exceeding getting two :banghead:
#3 Do what I did buy a used working engine and pray....

:banghead:

They always say to do bottom end instead of only top end on 15 yr ski

It already had a pretty new SBT bottom end..everything checked out when top end exchange was done. Yes that 40 psi on one Cyl. Sethsmind took the head off to find a broken piston... SBT and BRP agree it looks as if a Timing issue , or lean problem, or wrong plugs caused it. I know he never put in the wrong plugs. I do know it had too much oil in it and that can cause a lean condition, because more oil less fuel.......but It def has a timing issue. I think SBT should be paying somthing to have this taken care of. I do agree also that he paid for a carb job last time, and that clearley was not the issue, so I got him a full credit on that. I did note the last time that ski was out of time and the motor may need to be taken out for the repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back