98 GTX LTD carb tuning in water and two bugs

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grim

I am about ready to take the ski to the water. . The ski is running around 3500 RPM right now (out of water) so I think I got a slight adjustment to do. I also want to check the low and high adjustments but want you guys to check my process. Also, remember it hasn't been ran in 9 years so I have a premix in the tank and the oil system working.

Most people say to leave the seat off and the airbox off. Also, have a full tank of gas for this.

1. First thing I need to do is get it in the water (on trailer) and crank it up and adjust the idle screw until I get 1500 RPM.
2. Then I need to adjust the low adjustment by dialing it out or in while watching the rpms to see when it starts to change. (paraphrase little bit, I read this technique here on the forum). Once it does then take it out and very no hesitation with take off, adjust until there is no hesitation.
3. Then go full throttle and verify that it doesn't bog down between mid and high RPMs. If it does adjust the high speed screw. Be considerate to not make it too lean

From what I can tell I won't be able to do the spark plug test because of using the premix and oil system together.

Next:
Another bug I am working out is the engine doesn't like to crank, especially when cold. When I press the start button it will do two "revs" and stop and repeat that over and over. If it hasn't ran that day I have to put some starter fluid in it to get it to start. Once it starts and runs for about 10 secs it will still do the rev thing but it will crank reliably. Almost like it is losing a little vacuum on the gas line! I have a new battery but will be putting it on the charger (removing it) to make sure it is fresh.

Last bug I am chasing is the beeper, It doesn't make any noise. I disconnected the connector and tied to see if I could get voltage but not sure I am doing that right, I get nothing. Anyone have a good way to verify the beeper is good without cutting it out? I thought about pinching the wire , looking for voltage or putting some voltage to see if it buzzes!! Anyone know of a good replacement beeper, if mine is bad?

Thanks in advance.

I'm not guru but I've fought with a few carbed 951s. :) I think we need to get that starter working better than it is.

The carbs should work well with the stock settings. If they don't you have a problem. As for the high speed adjusters you set them to the recommended settings and leave them alone. The ski will run with both the high speeds lightly seated but the PTO adjuster setting is either 1/4 turn or 1/2 Turn out, I'm not sure.

The situation you are in is ripe for an engine runaway. You are idled to high. Don't use Starting fluid, and don't run the engine with the airbox removed. All three of those issues can cause a runaway. So if the engine takes off.... pull the choke and hold it till the engine stops. Pulling the lanyard will not stop a runaway.

Best way to start the ski is hold the choke and crank till the engine fires. No more than 5-7 seconds on the starter.

I'd set the on-water idle at 1400 max but that's up to you.

The time you spend tweaking at the house will greatly benefit your on-water fun time. Whatever isn't working now will be exacerbated on the water. Good Luck and have fun.

Last edited:
I think it being off by around 500 rpms out of the water isn't too bad, that should be easy to adjust. I don't know how the low and high settings are doing yet. I can take it out on the lake and see if she runs well after I adjust the idle down a little....first. i guess the notion of not messing with anything that isn't broke can be used here.

Any ideas on the starter, when I run it without the spark plugs it cranks normally, seems like when there is compression it struggles. Battery is new so don't think that is the issue. Its a mighty max gel..12V 19amp hrs.

Last edited:
Anyone got an idea about the starter? I am second guessing taking it to the lake, if it is hard to crank out of the water, it might not crank at all in the water.

Load test the battery, a weak battery can cause some of your issues. Regarding your carb issues, there is no tweaking a stock motor, Hi speeds are closed, and pilots should be +/- 1/4 turn to stock specs.,,not sure what yours is. Idle on trailer is 2500, 1500 in the water! Etemplet is correct, a high idle on the trailer is a recipe for disaster (happened to me with a 951.) If is is not running right with stock settings you have carb/fuel delivery issues.

Load test the battery, a weak battery can cause some of your issues. Regarding your carb issues, there is no tweaking a stock motor, Hi speeds are closed, and pilots should be +/- 1/4 turn to stock specs.,,not sure what yours is. Idle on trailer is 2500, 1500 in the water! Etemplet is correct, a high idle on the trailer is a recipe for disaster (happened to me with a 951.) If is is not running right with stock settings you have carb/fuel delivery issues.
Ill do that with the battery.
For the carbs, I just rebuilt both of them with an OEM kit and springs and the pop off was good. Is there something I could have done wrong with the rebuild? Any areas I should relook at? I used the rebuild thread on this forum. From what I am reading adjusting the Idle wont cure this high idle issue?

Is the throttle cable pinched? is the carb base gasket pinched? Is the pulse line hose pinching the return butterflies,? It’s very easy on that motor to get into trouble with the carb linkage and or pulse line.

Adjusting the idle VIA the idle screw should change the idle RPM. If it doesn't you need to look for the throttle cable not having enough slack as well as all the things Popps mentioned. I find the 951 to be more tedious than any of the others probably cuz it isn't easy to get to everything. Get a good flashlight and a mirror. It is real easy to get a carb hose rubbing on the throttle linkage. Good Luck !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back