1996 GTI Ignition Coil Shot, Where to go from Here?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Star Burns

Hi there, I've been lurking these forums for a while now and you guys are great at troubleshooting these things, so I thought I'd give this a go. I have a 1996 Seadoo GTI with the 717 engine, and I took off my old flywheel since the teeth were so worn out it was damaging the starter (Pics here if you're curious), and I jammed a screwdriver into the slot of the old flywheel in an attempt to keep it from turning (stupid, I know).

It damaged the ignition coil, so now I guess I'm going to have to either fix it or replace it. First off, I'm wondering how I get the sucker out of there, since the wired seem to be permanently in the harness and I can't seem to find a guide to removing them. Will I have to just cut them and re solder them when I put it back in?

Here's some pictures so you can get an idea of the damage. As for the coil itself, I'm curious, is it even fixable? I figure it's worth a shot before I replace the whole assembly. I was looking around on ebay and you can get them for under $100, but I'd rather fix it if possible. Thanks for reading.

You can un-solder the HV ignition charging coil, and replace it separately.

Just an FYI... the proper way to "Lock" the engine, is to put a hunk of rope in the MAG sparkplug hole, and let the piston compress on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back