951 motor swap; transferring '98 magneto to '99 motor

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

wabbastang

Have a '98 GTX that I dropped a motor from a '99 XP into. Fully assembled now and started up. Idled but wouldn't run up and tach way off. With some reading, now discovered the single vs dual coil & magneto cup change between the years and this appears to all make sense...

Going to attempt to fix this in the ski. Pull pipe, front mount, loosen rears and hopefully can get in there to pull the cover. Obviously I can unbolt the magneto cup from the original '98 engine and transfer to the '99, however what I'm seeing is that they moved the index hole on the flywheel also - I think it's basically that you need to rotate the cup one set of holes off. Being that I'm trying to do this in the ski and really do not want to pull the flywheel itself (nor will I have tool to do so), hoping to get more definitive information on if that rotation is correct, and which way it needs to go. Old engine at home and skis at vacation place. Will set old motor at TDC and get a measurement before pulling apart and then check it on new, but meanwhile any help greatly appreciated!!

Back