Electrical system

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

justinb

Hi All

Hoping someone with electrical knowledge on a seadoo gti 2002 717 can assist me with some questions I have .

Firstly my motor would not start after rebuilding it , the first thing I looked at was to see if I was getting spark was getting a very small spark .

I then turned to my book,did some following tests

1. Checked plugs they ok
2. I then tested the magneto generating harness the 4 wires by the fly wheel cover.

I tested the black and the red to black cable was getting the resistance within spec 56 ohms .

I even cross checked it with the yellow ones to see if I was getting a short or anything on them nothing showed open circuit .

I then checked Vac across these black cables with my meter ,cranked the motor I got around 48Vac , according to the book it should be between 18 to 25 ? Why would it be more ?

Could this be the reason the spark was not strong on thr plug?

Anyways I then checked the ignition coil took both the plugs off I got a reading with in spec see first pic

I then tested the 2 spade terminals ,see 2nd pic , noticed it's 0.4 ohms above recommended amount ?

Could this be the reason ? Are the high Ac voltage linked to this ?

I then redid the tension cables of the plugs cut it back to see the inside cable then put the plug on , I then re tested cranked it and the spark was triple the size it was .

But still no start , do I need to replace the ignition coil and startor ? Or are those readings fine?

I also figured out why or one of the causes my ski would not start compression on one cylinder was 90 Psi and the other 135 , open the head to find the ring was not seating correctly against the wall .

But that's been sorted , I just want to know that the eletrcial side is or is not part of the issue

thanks all

Attachments

• 20240121_103425.jpg
    20240121_103425.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240121_103357.jpg
    20240121_103357.jpg
    365.5 KB · Views: 5
Since you are seeing spark and resolved the compression issue, why don't you try pouring a little premix down each carb and see if it fires? Did your ski have the gray fuel lines? If so were they changed out and the carbs rebuilt with genuine mikuni parts per the thread at the beginning of this forum?

Since you are seeing spark and resolved the compression issue, why don't you try pouring a little premix down each carb and see if it fires? Did your ski have the gray fuel lines? If so were they changed out and the carbs rebuilt with genuine mikuni parts per the thread at the beginning of this forum?
Well it's not sorted yet lol ordered new rings ,so I can't try start it now .

Yes the carb was built with genuine mikuni parts as per Mikidymac thread .

I would would like to know with it generating 48 VAc will that damage anything

If you are seeing good spark then it should be fine.
I don't put much faith in the electrical tests as I have had them test bad and run and test good and not run.

That thing will not run with 90 psi and with new rings, pistons and rebuild you should be at 150 psi, not 135.

Back