Ignition Coil questions and need replacement part for discontinued 278000586

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

dmixed

Hi all, This is for a SeaDoo 2000 GTS ski, but I'm finding some generic coils related so trying to keep the exact model a bit ambiguous for reasons detailed below.

I have a coil problem and multiple questions... will start with questions then explanation at bottom:

1) I find the actual part in the parts and shop manual and other places is listed as 278000586.
Does anyone know of a (quality) compatible replacement?
This appears to be discontinued and I cannot find one online the past few days, ebay, here at seadoowarehouse, etc. etc.
Amazon has only one vendor that says compatible with that number - jetunit.
This one brand is showing up on all my searching.
They have bad reviews on most all their products.
I actually purchased that one and it lasted about 1hour and now is bad.

2) I found mention somewhere that this number was compatible 278000383. I cannot find or recall where I got that info.
I also recall reading other places that many coils are fairly generic between small engines and can work so I bought this one from amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BFST48Y?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Notice how it has two prongs on the top?
My ski original only has one (and wiring only has one slotted connector amongst all connections)
All the photos I can find of my original part only have one prong for wiring as well.
I tried both prongs and not getting any spark. (Made sure grounding is proper, etc)

What is the difference in two pronged coils and can they work as replacement for one pronged?
All my research seems to show they can, but maybe mine was DOA.
Can I just go to an autoparts store and get something similar (maybe with one prong) for motorcycle or something else?

3) I'm testing coils with visual spark tester and comparing if any orange glow and brightness of orange glow and consistency of that glow as well.
I have 3 coils now.

A) Original one after purchase says nippondenso 204470005 129000-0650 CDI, but cannot confirm that was original and no mfg date on that coil.
This one runs, but dies. It has good timing and consistency, but very dim spark. Tried clipping wires and different boots, etc.
B) jetunit from amazon worked for 1hr. That one has one wire strong spark and the longer 2nd wire alternates sometimes bright, but mostly very dim.
I clipped the wires and tried alternate boots, etc. with same results every time. This one turns over and basically runs on one cylinder and dies frequently.
C) I purchased the 2 prong model above and cannot get any spark at all.

My multimeter doesn't find any OHMs on any variety of these, but is manual range meter so think I need to buy a new one. I think the visual spark test is great for now and at least confirms the above 3 behaviors. My multimeter seems to test good on other stuff like household AC voltage, battery DC voltage, other types of resistance OHMs so not sure why it won't pick up on the coils at all. The lowest setting is 200.

---
History:
I have replaced just past few weeks the rectifier, MPEM, Coil, and starter relay (they were cheap and looked pretty bad so why not)
I now get two strong beeps when the key is almost touching the DESS post (I used to get two faint beeps only after pushing it all the way on and this was not battery strength related). This tells me most likely the new MPEM is much better.
I get solid starter engagement and the fuel lines are clear and it does fire differently with the above first two coils.

Last edited:
Back