Whos the 4stroke guru??

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnetonka4me

Premium Member
Premium Member
Ive got very limited experience so hopefully someone can chime in...

I might be picking up a 07 speedster that has a 215 non sc motor in it with a rod thru the side. What are the restrictions/years of motors that would swap simply, and If I replace the ECU will any motor work?

The reason I ask is I have a 03 SC that I have everything for. I know...the 03 motors were kinda sucky, but it would be the cheapest option if it is indeed an option.

I posted in this forum b/c its mainly an engine question I dont think it matters that its a boat.

I'm not ignoring you, I just can't answer the question.

Winter time slows things down around here. I will do some digging as well.

I hear ya...we just have that crazy hot 2 stroke section with so many gurus, its hard to believe it isnt the same on the 4 stroke side.

I was just saying...I actually bought it, now I actually need to figure it out so I know what machines/motors I should be on the look out for.

I think the big difference between the 2-strokes and the 4-stroke forum is the newness and modernization of the 4-tech engines.

The 2-strokes have been around for so long and are relatively simple to work on that many have the answer to questions almost instantly.

The 4-tec's require more advanced tools and knowledge. We simply aren't there yet in regards to knowing the hard answers with the 4-tecs.

I read things almost every day trying to expand my knowledge.

I'm no 4TEC guru but.........

You say you have a 215 non supercharged engine that is blown.

A 215 engine has a supercharger and a intercooler. :cheers:

I'm no 4TEC guru but.........

You say you have a 215 non supercharged engine that is blown.

A 215 engine has a supercharger and a intercooler. :cheers:

No guru here either...you're right. An 07 "215" is sc'd w/ an ic.

My thinkin...if he got another motor...w corresponding ecu. swap it. only thing I see that may not fly is the drive shaft...prop...pump.

again...depending really on which motors exactly we are talkin about here.

Yes the 03 is exactly that... 185 if I remember correctly. I have the complete machine. The one big hurdle I see if we do anything different is the driveshaft / pto /and pump/prop. Other reasons we either need to find the correct motor or get a complete donor ski

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Yeah driveshaft I believe will be the main issue. The PTO should be the same in regards to the driveshaft. I looked up the numbers for the 07 RXP 215 vs the same ski with a 155 and the driveshaft number is different. The impeller could always be pitched. Gauges could be a issue because i'm not for sure if you can mate the newer gauge cluster to the older ecu. I don't believe the gauges will bolt into the same spot as a newer set. I would check on the hulk and see if they have any firm answers.

If everything but the driveshaft is good. Simply cut it and have it welded and balanced at a machine shop or drive shaft shop.

Another thing to think about on this one, while you're deciding which way to go, is the resale value. A lot of buyers would be turned off by an '07 boat with a '03 engine that's been modified to fit.

Does your friend still have that clapped out RXP to use as a donor? I think he was asking like $3k last I saw.

The Gauge is a good point and probably the thing that I should look up and find out what other years that used the same Gauge.

I agree Brian on the resale value but the savings would be worth it. I think though the Gauge is going to be different though and probably won't work.

So now I should really figure out what machines use the exact same motor bc in the end it's probably worth the non hassle of a plug and play motor, and enjoy it a little while we wait for a buyer.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk 4

I've done quite a few "Frankenstein" 4tecs. What usually has worked best for me is to return it to stock but not just because of resale. There are quite a few difference between the 4tec motors like ECU, Gauges(and how they are married to the ECU), pistons, valves, cam, head passages, TOPS, driveshaft diameters, front oil pump housing, etc. 0verall, an 03 185 and an 07 155 are pretty different especially the electronics on the ECU/Gauges and how they interact with each other.

I just rebuilt an 09 130 4tec with 80 hrs that broke a rod and went through the side of the block including snapping the cb and crushing starter, it happens(I posted a pic of it in another thread). I used a 4tec block from the very first year, an 02, and the only difference is an extra ground location on the newer block and the oil jet that has to be removed on the older block, no big deal. I had to replace a piston/rod assy, 4 valves, starter, the block, cb, and that's about it. The crank was still good along with everything else including all bearings.

I suggest tearing it down and assessing the damage first but used blocks and pistons are easy to get for 155s. I have quite a few 4tec parts.

Thanks bud I appreciate the knowledge. I dont really want to tear apart the 03 for parts as its in decent shape other than a small hole in the hull. So then its prob cheaper overall to find a drop in ready motor seeing Im no engine builder and between parts and labor ill be in it for more than a decent used motor.

What Im told is the 04-07 non sc motors are what im looking for...which sux b/c I had a 04 motor over the summer. Man murphys law gets me on every turn.

Got super lucky and ran into a 07 non SC motor with 127hrs at a great price. Should make this project a super simple job! Good Resale value too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back