What are the impacts of "Cavitation"?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkTGomez

My first season. 2008 Challenger 180 with 23 hours. From the looks of it, it appears that the subject of "cavitation" is quite a popular one.

Just got it back last week from the dealer, where they replaced the fuel pump, wear ring, & impeller. It sounds like there are many interpretations as to what cavitation is, but I'd have to say that the high "low end" (i.e. when accelerating) RPMs & total lack of low end torque/power that it had before must have been a classic example (or result??) of cavitation, but it performed like a charm after getting it back Until...

Sucked in a heavy duty tubing rope when idling first trip out this weekend! =( Upon inspection after getting towed back in, it wrapped around the driveshaft at least 4-5 times & also got lodged in the impeller (at 1 place btwn wear ring). Managed to get most if it out after about 4 hrs with a hanger through the intake grate (grate & pump appeared to need special tools so didn't mess w/them) & took boat out for a run & it seemed to operate fine, although engine "hum" seemed to change to a slightly higher pitch at 6000+/above RPMs (still operated fine, but just can't remember how it sounded before)... Other than that, there was no visual damage to impeller or wear ring.

The only prob is that there's still a small amount (more fibrous threads than anything) lodged where the impeller threads onto the shaft (at the rubber cap) - it didn't get dislodged when I took it on the water and I don't believe I can get it out w/o removing the grate or the pump.

My questions are:
1. If the boat is operating fine, should I even worry about removing the remainder (would assume it would dislodge eventually, no?)??

2. If I leave it in there will it cause cavitation which will eventually lead to me having to replace wear ring and/or impeller?

3. Does the pitch change in engine "hum" above 6000+ RPM sound normal (doesn't sound like anything's breaking per se, just don't know if it could be..."cavitation")??

I'm new here so thanks a ton in advance for any feedback and suggestions!

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back