New wear ring impeller gap

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

tonyk72

Hi there, first time poster, first question.
I just installed a new aftermarket impeller in my '97 speedster with the twin 717's. The wear ring looks like it was made on a 3d printer. Installation was a challenge and freezer trick didn't help. Trying to tap in with a 2x4 resulted in one side of the wear ring constantly popping out and going in crooked. I eventually managed to install using a shop press allowing more even distribution of force and it went in smoothly.
The impeller spins freely, but there is a noticable gap that gets bigger on one side of the wear ring and the gap closes up on the other side. The wear ring is fully seated and there is no impeller wobble. My old wear ring had more even clearances all the way around.
Is the wear ring possibly not a true 360 circle and maybe that is why I had such a hard time installing it? Could it be my impeller?

Also, the pic shows my old wear ring and chewed up inner walls. The tolerance midway on each blade was no greater than .035 inches. Would I have had any cavitation issues? This is a project boat that I have not had in the water and fixing things as I go though everything.

Attachments

• 20230612_170142.jpg
    20230612_170142.jpg
    362.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Back