Sorry Rebuild Job or Not.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

LindaP

I have recently had my 787 completely rebuilt. I have found something that may be a big problem and I don't
want to install it, then have a big oil leak and have to remove it. The bottom of the motor, the crank case has a
3 inch long spot where there is no gasket or the red sealer
used, between the top and bottom crank cases. It's missing
a 3-inch spot that seems to go all the way thru to the
inside. To me it looks like an obvious screw up. I think the
top and bottom cases have been mismatched and do not
fit tightly together in this area. What is your opinion. I am
going to contact this out of state rebuilder after I get an
opinion.
Thanks for your input.
LindaP:boxing_smiley:

Linda depending on where the gap is, it could or couldn't be a problem. Sometimes the cases aren't coated to ooze out of the cases and the area isn't near any place that needs to be sealed. Without seeing the spot it's hard to know if it's a problem. When I do a case split re-install I always coat both halves real good just to be sure. It might be ok, as this would be a very slim chance it got forgotten in the process. Any chance of a picture to look at?

Karl

Well, hello stranger!....

It's good to see you again Linda........I dont' think I've seen you since before Christmas.
Bad news on your motor....From what you described, the engine was rebuilt using a crankcase halve, possibly from another motor.
The crankcase halves are factory matched and are not interchangable. They are a machined fit. The only thing your suppose to use during the assembly on this surface is a thin film of Loctite 515, or if your a "backyard mechanic" like me, you'd just use the good ole "Permatex non-hardening" sealant.
Hope you get things straightened out. But it does sound like a mistake was made.
Good to see you again...................:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back