Should I purchase this 1998 Challenger?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

burtshaver2021

Premium Member
Premium Member
I messaged about This 1998 Seadoo Challenger, the gentleman had it posted for 2000.00 or best offer, the ad said it needed a shift cable and the pictures show some significant damage to the hull, hasn’t been ran since 2020. When I was speaking to him in the phone he said that he lent the craft to family and this is what happened. He took it to a Marina, he said the marina would not put on the shift cable because the cable is not available from Seadoo, only aftermarket is available and they won’t do it. I’m supposed to go see if this Wednesday. In my message I said I would be interested at 1500.00, that is with the trailer. I know it’s hard to know without seeing it but does this sound like a decent price? I’m fairly confident I can fix the hull, I’ve fixed a 2 inch by 3 inch hole in a seadoo by layering fibreglass. So I’m thinking if I grind it down in a v and take it back on an angle 2 or 3 inches from each damaged spot and build back up. Anything else I should look for? I’m going to take a battery with me, are they full size for these boats or the same as in the seadoo’s? I will post some pictures. Thanks for any replies

Just remembered he’s saying it needs a shift cable, he also said last time they had it out it would run only in reverse hence the needing a shift cable. I’m not sure which cable he is referring to but it sounds to me like the cable that controls the reverse gate

Hard to see the extent of the damage. It looks like it might be just the gelcote that was scrapped off. The hulls are pretty tough. I had hit a rock or two in my day and never did any major damage on my challenger. If it is only a gelcote repair then this sounds like a good deal to me. A closer inspection would be necessary. If the engines are good, you could buy it at 2k and part it out and make money worst case.

And just a Shifter cable would be a fairly easy repair. You could always lock the gate in the up position and just use it with no reverse or neural, but docking might be a little difficult.

I had a full size battery in mine. From what I can see all the boats take a full size battery. But considering its the same engine that's in a pwc, your pwc battery will be more than enough for testing.

Hard to see the extent of the damage. It looks like it might be just the gelcote that was scrapped off. The hulls are pretty tough. I had hit a rock or two in my day and never did any major damage on my challenger. If it is only a gelcote repair then this sounds like a good deal to me. A closer inspection would be necessary. If the engines are good, you could buy it at 2k and part it out and make money worst case.

And just a Shifter cable would be a fairly easy repair. You could always lock the gate in the up position and just use it with no reverse or neural, but docking might be a little difficult.

I had a full size battery in mine. From what I can see all the boats take a full size battery. But considering its the same engine that's in a pwc, your pwc battery will be more than enough for testing.
Thanks Spider, that’s pretty much what I was thinking. In my mind the trailer is worth 700.00. I was going to see if the 2 717 motors would turn over by hand, if they do I will have a couple batteries with me, if they have good compression then that’s great. Who knows maybe they will fire up. Apparently they both ran good 3 years ago and if they have compression but don’t fire up well that’s just bargaining power for me. I guess for the most part I will just look for the usual, condition of the graphics, condition of the seats and trim. The hull repair doesn’t concern me to much unless it’s terribly mangled I can take it back to the fibreglass, all takes time though and this boat in running condition would only be worth 4500.00 or so. Never owned a seadoo boat before so I was just looking for things to look out for. Thanks again, I appreciate the input.

Yeah, look for worn seats. A professional reupholstery job would cost a lot so good negotiating point. Make sure the bilge pump, blower fan and lights all work. Make sure to crawl underneath as the bunks can hide damage unless you are under the boat. Which will also give you a good look at the impeller.

Sounds like the owner is not mechanically inclined so that give someone like yourself with the ability to do the repairs themself a strong negotiating position. Just keep quoting what a shop would charge for repairs.

If in good condition I think you could get more than 4500 for it. I sold my 96 last year for close to 6K. The market is still a little weird right right now.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Yeah, look for worn seats. A professional reupholstery job would cost a lot so good negotiating point. Make sure the bilge pump, blower fan and lights all work. Make sure to crawl underneath as the bunks can hide damage unless you are under the boat. Which will also give you a good look at the impeller.

Sounds like the owner is not mechanically inclined so that give someone like yourself with the ability to do the repairs themself a strong negotiating position. Just keep quoting what a shop would charge for repairs.

If in good condition I think you could get more than 4500 for it. I sold my 96 last year for close to 6K. The market is still a little weird right right now.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Your absolutely right there, I don’t think he is mechanically inclined, the boat is at a Marina right now and they probably threw some hefty numbers at him. I’m super excited to go look at this, hopefully it is held till I get there on Wednesday. I will let you know how it goes.

Just a spark tester? Which I have but have never had to use it, will I be able to see it in the daytime or just throw a blanket over me while testing it should work
I was hoping to get the 2 beeps if this unit has the dess, I’m not sure though. Either way I will check for spark

i have used my motorcycle battery (which is tiny relative to the 675cca that is supposed to be in there) many times for testing firing only one motor at a time.

i do not have a spark tester...i just hold the spark plug against the side of the cylinder case. spark plug tester is ideal.

hopefully the starters are ok. with the tester i believe you need to install the spark plug? if so, if the starter is weak you may not be able to crank it fast enough to see spark and therefore take the plugs out and put them against the side of the block like i said before.

we had a 97 speedster (which is exactly the same as the 2000 challenger. I do not get why seadoo did this....model years and names that are different with the same features.) with the spotter seat as well. It was a blast. Not much fun in really choppy water though. hull design is too flat and hit really hard at every wave. i have a 98 speedster now with a more pronounced v design that will hopefully get in the water this year and cut through the waves better.

we had a 97 speedster (which is exactly the same as the 2000 challenger. I do not get why seadoo did this....model years and names that are different with the same features.) with the spotter seat as well. It was a blast. Not much fun in really choppy water though. hull design is too flat and hit really hard at every wave. i have a 98 speedster now with a more pronounced v design that will hopefully get in the water this year and cut through the waves better.
That one I’m looking at says it’s a 98 Challenger but when looking around on google it looks to me that it may be a 2000 challenger, not that it really matters to me, they are both powered by 2 717’s. I like the idea of 2 7171’s instead of 1 787. Can you tell from the pictures what model year it is?

Good luck with the speedster, I don’t need this boat as I love my seadoo’s but I would like something that I can get those family members out on that won’t ride the seadoo’s

you will be able to confirm year with the vin(black rubber tag on transom).....last two digits is model year.

just do not put them in the bow in choppy water unless you want to send them over the edge.
Lol, yes thank you. That would defeat the whole purpose of getting this. Being how they won’t go on the seadoo’s, if they go over board I’m sure I wouldn’t get them back out on this

Back