Running on hose

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Collinfox01

So I am new to jet skis. I just bought an 01 Sea-doo GTX from my uncle. It’s a 2 Stroke and it has 180 hours on it. I never plan to run it in salt water but if I were to run it in brackish water and wanted to flush it out with the hose, how long could I let it run? I have started it one time on the hose since owning it and I’ve noticed that it seems to idle up to 4500 rpm with the jet pump is not submerged. I am just making sure that running it on the hose at that rpm will not damage anything or if I should avoid brackish water at all costs.

4500 is a little high, normally they run around 2800 ish out of the water. As long as it is idling around 1400 in the water I wouldn't mess with it but I wonder if your idle is too high in the water too. As far as flushing it , it should take no more than 5-10 seconds or so of water running to flush, try not to run it much longer because of the carbon seal(it isn't getting any water for cooling).
Also make sure you are flushing it correctly. start engine, turn on water, turn off water, turn off engine...never turn off engine with water running!

4500 is a little high, normally they run around 2800 ish out of the water. As long as it is idling around 1400 in the water I wouldn't mess with it but I wonder if your idle is too high in the water too. As far as flushing it , it should take no more than 5-10 seconds or so of water running to flush, try not to run it much longer because of the carbon seal(it isn't getting any water for cooling).
Also make sure you are flushing it correctly. start engine, turn on water, turn off water, turn off engine...never turn off engine with water running!
I think some modifications have been done to it. I took it out yesterday, it idles at 1600 rpm in the water

The only reason to run these on the hose is to flush the cooling system.
Don't run it more than a minute or you will burn up the driveshaft seal.

Never, ever have the hose on and the engine off.
It is always engine ON, then Hose ON then Hose OFF and last engine OFF.

Idle should be 2,800 out of the water and 1400 in the water. 4500 is way off.

When I idle it on the hose it starts off low and continues to idle up. In the water it idles at 1600. It had no problems besides the speedometer doesn’t work. It runs great. Maybe I will just avoid brackish water all together and not run it on the hose.

Turn your idle down!
1600 in the water is too high for a 951 and will cause the idle speed creep until it goes full throttle with no input from you, known as a "runaway" engine.

So I just looked in the manual to find the idle screw location and it said the idle in the water should be 1500 + or - 100. It is a 2 stroke so shouldn’t it have a higher idle?

I think some modifications have been done to it. I took it out yesterday, it idles at 1600 rpm in the water
it is real easy to adjust the idle while in the water, just take off seat and find the adjustment screw, it should be able to be turned by your hand, normally turning it out reduces RPM idle and turning it in raises. I would tune it in a little, run it for a min or so and see where it levels off, and repeat until you are at 1400.

Back