Reverse gate questions.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently picked up a 97 gtx with a busted reverse gate. More specifically the bracket that holds the gate has been torn off. Is this possible to do if you applied throttle while it was down? I haven't owned a ski with reverse.

No, you do apply throttle while it's down to control it. More than likely the PO backed it into something when the bucket was down on the trailer or hit something big in the water.

So theoretically I could go full throttle with the reverse down? I can't see why I would... just trying to guage there durability.

Yes you can but it will start to cavitate really bad and probably bounce off the rev limiter.

According to the manual, DO NOT apply throttle while the bucket is down.
However in the real world, some throttle is needed for maneuvering.

DO NOT floor it in reverse. There is no need and you'll just break stuff...

For the manual to say don't apply throttle in reverse is crazy as it will hardly go anywhere in my experience. I give it a little throttle but nothing crazy to get it to maneuver in reverse.

They could have "subbed" it too where you are at moderate speed, let off the gas,pull the reverse, nail the gas, and boom damn near the entire ski will be under water. Good way to rip stuff off the back too, YouTube it

They could have "subbed" it too where you are at moderate speed, let off the gas,pull the reverse, nail the gas, and boom damn near the entire ski will be under water. Good way to rip stuff off the back too, YouTube it

Been there. done that. almost went over the handle bars!

You can use as much throttle as you want in reverse, nothing will break. The only time I've seen customers break them is when they put it in reverse while moving forward very fast then hit the throttle to dive the nose down. I had one customer who would frequently do this with a 96 Speedster and it would fill the passenger area of the boat with water. He would then drive around until enough water drained out and he was able to get back on plane. He could then do some hard corners to splash the rest of the water out. He eventually broke both buckets.

Chester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back