registration question?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

blairwill4

IVe got a buddy that has a ski that's been sitting for nine years. Im going through it for him emptying the fuel tank, rebuilding the carbs, etc. My question is; he hasn't registered it since 2008. When he goes to register it this year, are they going to make him pay for the last 8 years? Or will he just have to pay for this year? We live in Indiana.

Every state is different.... but generally no... you don't have to pay the back registration. But there could be a small penalty. BUT... I haven't heard of anyone talking about that in IN. So, you should be good.

correct, each state has their own (sometimes idiotic, but generally not) approach to these situations.

I have registered PWC's and trailers that have been "off the books" for 3-4 years on multiple occasions without any questions being asked. (Florida)

So i'm pretty confident that he has nothing to be concerned about with paying in arrears.

I would imagine it's like if a car sits in ur garage for years and you decide to restore it. I highly doubt they will make you pay 30 years worth of registration.

If you find it is costly,, do an "on paper" sale of it. The new owner certainly can't be held liable..

Then sell it back.

If you find it is costly,, do an "on paper" sale of it. The new owner certainly can't be held liable..

Then sell it back.

I thought that too, but the title transfer is a lot more expensive than the registration, especially if its necessary to do it twice.

I'm feeling good that the state won't give a hoot.

HaHaHa, come to California. You will pay for any back registration AND a penalty. Even if you buy it from someone that didn't pay the registration you have to pay it before you can get it registered in your name.The only way to avoid it is to actually fill out a form to put it on "Non Op" then the fees don't add up.

HaHaHa, come to California. You will pay for any back registration AND a penalty. Even if you buy it from someone that didn't pay the registration you have to pay it before you can get it registered in your name.The only way to avoid it is to actually fill out a form to put it on "Non Op" then the fees don't add up.

Of course you cannot put it on "non-op" until getting registration up-to-date by paying all fees and penalties (cannot remember if it is 2 or 3 back years).

I can only speak for CA, but for the first SeaDoo I got as a project which was acquired in AZ without paperwork by someone here, then sold to me with bill of sale. I took bill of sale and HIN to one of the vehicle registration services and, after a little dialog with DMV via the service, got new title/registration without any penalties. I have another one in the same situation that I will go thru the same routine with when I feel it is cost-justified to do it.

dam California !!!!

y'all charge for everything and your broker than dog poop... how is that possible?

gotta pay for that stupid bullet train and all the illegals ... but you do not want to get me started, at least not on someone else's thread!!

I would be gone except for being so spoiled by the weather.

Yup, you would think with no water to ride in they would suspend the registration fees this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back