Winterization Question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

ParamedicCurt

I just finished rehabbing a 2003 Seadoo GTX-DI that included rebuilding the top end. It hasn't been in the water in years. I've never put it on a hose. My question is, do I need to run some RV antifreeze in and fog the cylinders and just go ahead and winterize it? I live in Arkansas, so it doesn't get terribly cold here. Maybe a couple weeks below freezing. Obviously the real risk would be water. But, being a humid climate here, I just don't want anything to get ruined.

There is a fairly elaborate procedure to winterize the DI (see manual) of pinching off then releasing various hoses in order to force the antifreeze through areas like the tuned pipe, bottom end, and muffler. In other words it is not as simple as just back-flushing with antifreeze.

You obviously wouldn't have any water in the top end you rebuilt, but other areas could have water from the past. If any residual water hasn't busted anything over the last few years doesn't necessarily mean you won't get that really cold several days this winter that could break something. (eg. - I didn't blow out the swamp cooler water supply line at my in-laws house for years, then last year it got cold enough for long enough that little line split and in the spring we had all kinds of water damage).

It is easy to fog the bottom end and cylinders, so since you have humidity, that would be good to do.

Back