96 GTS Winterization (DIY)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jharding08

Looking to winterize my two 96 GTS Skis by myself this year. We moved to northern Colorado, but I am keeping them in an insulated garage (but not heated) all winter

I paid to get them winterized last year, but I worked on them in the spring and have a better understanding of the systems, so I believe I can winterize myself this year

From my research, this is the process:
  1. Fill fuel tank
  2. Add fuel stabilizer
  3. Flush cooling lines to remove water (tilt ski and run for 30 seconds, cool, 30 seconds, cool, 30 seconds, cool) or use air compressor?
    1. Or- should I add antifreeze? My skis have the fitting spigot for the water attachment, should I just pump antifreeze in through the spigot (with hose behind it pinched), after I turn engine on, until it comes out the exhaust?
  4. Fog engine - remove spark plugs and spray fogging solution in engine, then spray plugs, put back in and turn over engine a couple times
    1. And/Or - Remove air intake lid, turn on engine, spray fogging solution through carb
  5. Remove battery - put on battery maintainer
  6. Wipe down outside of skis with soap, rinse with fresh water, put on covers
Should I do anything with oil/oil reservoir?

Would I need Antifreeze if it is in the insulated garage? Seems like adding the antifreeze is a fool-proof way to make sure nothing freezes/cracks, even if you think you get all the water out

Also can anyone recommend a good, low cost battery tender/maintainer that can do two batteries? Or one low cost where I can buy two?

Thank you for the help.

Last edited:
Winterizing is pretty easy.

Do everything you listed and you'll be fine.

For the antifreeze I always disconnect the main water inlet line off the pump end, stick a funnel in it, get the line above the engine head, start the motor, dump in the rv antifreeze until you see pink coming out of the exhaust and pee tube, shut the motor off, hook the line back up and put the machine away. One gallon should do the trick.

I do this to all my machines and store them outside all winter. We see -50F at times and I have never had a machine with freeze damage.

For the antifreeze I always disconnect the main water inlet line off the pump end, stick a funnel in it, get the line above the engine head, start the motor, dump in the rv antifreeze until you see pink coming out of the exhaust and pee tube, shut the motor off, hook the line back up and put the machine away. One gallon should do the trick.

I do this to all my machines and store them outside all winter. We see -50F at times and I have never had a machine with freeze damage.
I did this antifreeze process along with the other steps and everything seemed to work fine. I have them in the garage with covers. It was 32 this morning, but the garage was 55, so they should be fine.

I have some work that I need to do on them, like changing out the fuel selector valve, changing the oil and possibly the fuel lines. Is this something I can do while they are winterized? Just not sure if running them after working on the fuel/oil systems is necessary or can wait until spring

I was wondering if I could do it this way. I used to have an inboard mastercraft and I always disconnected the hose from the raw water pump and poured antifreeze into in through a funnel while it was running. I am new to jet skis so I wasn’t sure if the jet part was separate from the engine cooling. Where is this hose I need to disconnect on a 951 GTX? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back