RESTO Project Phoenix: 96 xp resto, 1020-R build and swap

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a little bit of an update here. I had a custom base gasket made at .086 and had the sleeves tweeked to elongate the ports a little to where they should be. I now have the motor ready to be finished, though I'm going to sandblast the head and cylinders back clean cause I got a powder coating system for Christmas :)

also i have changed my mind one the electronics I'm going to be using for this build. my original plan was to use a 98 single coil system of a gsx or a gtx. however after talking with some other racers they seem to swear by the 99-00 gtx 2 pick-up system and electronics system, they seem to believe that the timing curve on the 99-00 is better. so I located a 99 system and we'll see if its true.

I've also found a donor to rebuild my 00 world champ xp with and picked up an old blown Kawasaki js300 that i'm thinking about stuffing a 750 kawi into....

also picked up a 02 kawi 150 ultra to play with.,.,

Well, take your time. I know that myself and many others would love to see this build completed. I can't wait to see the finished motor!

I've sunk to much money into it not to finish it at this point, running tally is about 2000 just on this one project in parts. it will get done, hopefully in time for the beginning of this season, I am finally getting everything settled in my new places so I can start working on all my projects again. I've already got my next big project in mind, tho if I do a good job on this one there is serious money making possibilities with it.

Im not sure how Ive missed this thread until now...but Im loving it.

I want to just 2nd what Matt said about Bill Oneil and WCM. Bill is retired now and does not go into the shop much anymore. Chris has been his right hand man forever and I am glad to call him a friend. Bill literally taught me everything via PWCT...he is the reason I am who I am now.

Now...I can easily see where you could have the attitude you have about him. As Matt said he is a one man shop and when things get crazy and your phone is blowing up with people wanting free info, you get jaded a little. That and yes....they have been running Miller stuff with great success.

This build right here is the reason we REALLY need to get a national Seadoo freeride going. I want to at least hear if not ride this near one off beast. Ill swap you rides...I hope to have my 920 Miller done this year. I spent far too much freshening up a motor that had never been run and it has sat almost two years. wrapped in towels. and double bagged. In a climate controlled garage... LOL

Im not sure how Ive missed this thread until now...but Im loving it.

I want to just 2nd what Matt said about Bill Oneil and WCM. Bill is retired now and does not go into the shop much anymore. Chris has been his right hand man forever and I am glad to call him a friend. Bill literally taught me everything via PWCT...he is the reason I am who I am now.

Now...I can easily see where you could have the attitude you have about him. As Matt said he is a one man shop and when things get crazy and your phone is blowing up with people wanting free info, you get jaded a little. That and yes....they have been running Miller stuff with great success.

This build right here is the reason we REALLY need to get a national Seadoo freeride going. I want to at least hear if not ride this near one off beast. Ill swap you rides...I hope to have my 920 Miller done this year. I spent far too much freshening up a motor that had never been run and it has sat almost two years. wrapped in towels. and double bagged. In a climate controlled garage... LOL

yeah man defiantly, ive read some about the miller 920, those things are pretty temperamental from what I heard, of course in the custom ski world what isn't? always wanted to see one tho, heck I was thinking about doing one of them myself in this ski, but decided that the 951 base had more potential as far as power and pump options went. my motor is currently doing the same thing, long block wrapped in packing plastic wrap, mono block and head are also wrapped and sharing the shelf.

tho I'm really starting to get the bug to start working on skis again, I know how that burned out feeling is, I get it every November and usually don't even wanna see a ski till feb at least. the bug always comes back tho. skis really are my true love even tho I work on a bunch of other stuff.

got everything out of storage and back on a bench today. only problem is i can't find my base gasket anywhere :rant: i've got my 00 gtx mpem and rear box sitting on one of my benches but i looked through my 951 box and can't find a dual mag cup flywheel, i mush have sold the 2 i had... gotta order a primer kit and fuel line too, then deal with my hood situation. i'm currently working up some hood stuff that will make everyone happy.

anyway just giving everyone a quick update, expect more here soon as i'm gearing up for this coming season and getting out of my winter hibernation

Waiting for custom gasket I ordered to get here. Changed my plans a little bit. I'm not moving the water box and exhaust hole to the other side of the hull anymore. Since the reproduction decals are out and look amazing I'm going to keep it looking as stock as possible on the outside. I've also been talking with seadoodoc on how he mounted his 148mm mag pump and he opened my eyes big time on some easier ways to do a few things.

How hard is it to split a hull?
Yea, I'm curious too. And how do you get it back together. I have seen the amount of glue they use to glue these things together, and that alone would probably cost upwards of $200. How do you get the old stuff off, isn't it epoxy?

Yea, I'm curious too. And how do you get it back together. I have seen the amount of glue they use to glue these things together, and that alone would probably cost upwards of $200. How do you get the old stuff off, isn't it epoxy?
From what I've seen of his build, he did it very similar to how the iS skis are done. Probably taped and cut the top deck above the water line right where the footwell starts to raise up to make the operator deck. Then get some hydroturf make a seal kit for stand-up's and some latches.

Its really not bad guys. Once you do one you may be hard pressed to ever work on boat again without splitting. Its a beotch to do, no lie. You can hurt boat, tough as hell. I flip over boat and run sawzall blade through gap ( green glue)50%. Using huge crow bars just started beating violently from inside and slowly driving wedge shaped 2x4 's in place. Heard a bottle jack and serious heat gun helps. Start at front. Its way way tougher than you think. Ended up with one small chunk missing on bond rail line which hidden by bumper. One done the glue chips off with chizel and finish with grinder. Glue is 3m #35 2 stage epoxy. ($68) We rode our boat for 4 hrs hard with only 8 or 10 stainless screws holding together. The glue is OEM Seadoo material.
244.jpg
245.jpg
now hinging the top deck is another story!

Any update here?

95 XP800!!!
Keep the 2 strokes alive!

this isn't dead, i've just got many irons in the fire right now its now funny. iseadoo i think said it best, its funny how when you start a project like this you lay out a plan and figure it won't take more than a few months to complete, then the universe sees that plan, laughs in your face and throws a ton of life issues your way.

Pretty much...I wanted that grabowski ski done and out of the shop in 2 weeks. Well until it became apparent the motor needs to be disassembled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back