RESTO Project Phoenix: 96 xp resto, 1020-R build and swap

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I've kinda been dropping hints that this has been coming in a few threads the last few months but I'm going to start from the beginning.

Back last November my house caught fire and to make a long story short, the fire was right above where I kept my skis in the winter. All the skis did not get damaged, aside from ash and soot, except for my xp. Coals burned the seat and melted insulation coated the hull.

For the reconstruction I had to move it outside where it had to sit all winter, the only thing I had time to do was peel the melted insulation off, but still she's pretty sad looking having set all winter with no protection.
220.jpg

221.jpg

So I wasn't gonna just scrap my baby. This was the ski that got me hooked on jetskis. My first major find, my first ski I brought back to life, the first ski I truly fell in love with. So after I made up my mind up on my course of action I saved the money and sought out parts. My goal: rebuild her. Stronger. Faster. One of the meanest x4's on the planet. And so I've pulled and sold the 787 that was in her, and have started in on over the last 2 weeks.
222.jpg

Now The motor build.

So as the title says I'll taking a 951 and building it to a 1020. That all starts with this: a 6mm stroked crank.
223.jpg

224.jpg

225.jpg

Now the cases had to be clearanced to clear the rods with the new stoke.
226.jpg

227.jpg

228.jpg

The Reed tunnels have also been ported
229.jpg

Installed a new counter balance shaft.
230.jpg

Then I set the case halves together so I could test fit one of my finds..

The cylinders and Pistons

Now these where truly a find. They are 951 "R" cylinders. Developed on the 97.5 white cases, these are rated at 175hp on a 2mm stroke crank. They where meant to be a prototype that was supposed to hit mass production in 99. However with the epa cracking down on the industry there development was scrapped in favor of the 4tec and they where only distributed to the factory sponsored race teams.

231.jpg

232.jpg

233.jpg

In the next pics you can see the three exhaust ports.

234.jpg

235.jpg

236.jpg

Now custom sleeves have been made for these, bored and pressed in so that I can run these in them: single ring oem racing Pistons.

d5a98ad3542342dbcb16ddfcb686d721.jpg

237.jpg

238.jpg

The down side to using these Pistons is that they're only gonna last 50 hours before they'll need new rings.

Last post for the night.

I put the cases together and slipped the cylinders on to see how much of the water jacket I'm going to have to fill, since these cylinders where made for the white cases and I'm using silver cases.

239.jpg

240.jpg

Now tomorrow, if I find the time, I can hopefully run to parts store for some hondo bond and get the cases together for good. May even get the Pistons in.

Yep, this is going to be a good read. Perhaps you would be interested in doing port mapping to anyone with a 951 that wants to match the R ports.

Edit: port mapping video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r6s7qpyRRDU
The R cylinders can't be cloned, from what I've heard, Mel Miller tried and failed. There is not enough material on stock cylinders between the exhaust port and the water jacket. Here's some pics showing the differences.

262.jpg

263.jpg

264.jpg

Vs stock

265.jpg

266.jpg

267.jpg

268.jpg

They have however already been mapped by advance sleeve in oh and I could probably get a hold of a copy of it.

subscribed! what makes the single ring pistons better I've never seen one before?
Less rotating resistance, so it can Rev faster. They also handle the increased revs better, and a little better tolerance to compression increases. Also they're a little less prone to detonation due to the less heat from less ring friction.

However like I said, they'll just die at 50 hours and need new rings.

I wish I could find an all aluminum flywheel and and aluminum pto balancer, then you wanna talk about a quick reving motor lol.

Makes sense so at 50 hrs your gonna have to chisel the hondabond away and replace them? Have the flywheels and balancer machined might as well go all out on this build

Makes sense so at 50 hrs your gonna have to chisel the hondabond away and replace them? Have the flywheels and balancer machined might as well go all out on this build
Yes and I've thought about having them machined, not sure yet tho. I am pretty much going all out, I've yet to show everything I've got tho lol I've spent major money already.

So I didn't sleep much at all last night and have been basically worthless all day, however, I did go pick up my seat from my upholstery guy. He forgot to add the foam riser to make it a hump seat like I wanted but for the price he charged me I'm not gonna complain too much.

270.jpg

271.jpg

272.jpg

Over all I'm pretty happy with it, if later I need a hump I've got another seat I can take to him and sell this one later down the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even tho I've felt horrible all day, I couldn't help but do something on my new baby.

I cleaned and test fit a pair of rave valves, put the pto coupler on and tested my new hardware for my carb adapters.

274.jpg

And I'll go ahead and show what's gonna fuel this beast: 50mm buckshot carbs.

275.jpg

276.jpg

277.jpg

278.jpg

279.jpg

280.jpg

:drool5::thumbsup: this is great keep it up!!

what seat cover is that?

this makes me think of how far 2 strokes could have came if they didn't start cracking down on them, what a shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back