RESTO Project Phoenix: 96 xp resto, 1020-R build and swap

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah buffing by hand in general is next to impossible. Gotta go the machine route.

I have found the 96 xp gelcoat tends to clean up the best, well at least for me. Hand doing it though would be horrible. I spend hours using drills and a d.a. As for painting the inside my fiance's brother used a bilge paint that is resistant to oil and gas and it look really good. Some of those decals leave behind the adhiesive, so there we be grey spots every, the best thing we have found is aircraft adhiesive remover. The stuff is amazing.
I'm actually following your method. I used to go the 3m route, but the time involved for the results it yielded. And I have my reasons for hand buffing the bottom guys. I don't want it too waxy and I want scratches on the the bottom that run perpendicular to the hull so it will help with straight line tracking. The only reason I hand buffed the top deck is because I was tired and too lazy to go get my buffer :p
I have found the 96 xp gelcoat tends to clean up the best, well at least for me. Hand doing it though would be horrible. I spend hours using drills and a d.a. As for painting the inside my fiance's brother used a bilge paint that is resistant to oil and gas and it look really good. Some of those decals leave behind the adhiesive, so there we be grey spots every, the best thing we have found is aircraft adhiesive remover. The stuff is amazing.

I'm actually following your method. I used to go the 3m route, but the time involved for the results it yielded. And I have my reasons for hand buffing the bottom guys. I don't want it too waxy and I want scratches on the the bottom that run perpendicular to the hull so it will help with straight line tracking. The only reason I hand buffed the top deck is because I was tired and too lazy to go get my buffer :p

ahhhhh! Good to hear. Figured this wasn't your first rodeo. :)

So my Hondabond came in today, so I got the cases permanently sales together.

409.jpg

Other than that not much done today, I let someone borrow my ring compresser so I had to call them and tell them to bring it back. I need to get the motor dry mocked so I can measure my squish and call Dan to get my base gasket on the way.

OK I know it's been about a week since I updated this, been so busy it's not even fun.

I got the top deck buffed with the first round of heavy cut cleaner. I think this thing is gonna come back absolutely beautiful.
572.jpg

573.jpg

574.jpg

I also got the motor dry mocked
575.jpg

And measured the squish clearance. It was 0.055. [emoji33] can you say detonation city? Not to mention throwing off my port timings.
576.jpg

That's even with a massive base gasket. So I'm gonna either have to find an r motor head or have a stock head machined.

Take a look at a thread that was around a week or so ago, basically it was noticed that SBT cut their 951 heads increasing combustion chamber volume and reshaping the squish band, to either clean up damaged heads, or to help the engines last longer at the cost of performance. I'll see if I can dig it up and post back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try this guy, his English is pretty bad though. Not sure if he does the 951's or not. Perhaps you could sandwich his copper between two paper gaskets.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEADOO-COPP...Parts_Accessories&hash=item257f0821e9&vxp=mtr
The base gasket I've already got in there is a copper 0.067. It's got to be addressed in the head so I can put a smaller base gasket in so my port timings won't be off for bottom end power.

I called Dan today and talked him out of his last r motor head, still in the box from the rotex racing department.

And in other news, medium cut cleaner is done for the right side of the hull.

580.jpg

581.jpg

Can you tell us what products and equipment you are using for each cut of exterior restoration?

Rob

Can you tell us what products and equipment you are using for each cut of exterior restoration?

Rob

Search for JetSkiGoodies thread on hull restoration/buffing... I believe he used all of JSG's recommendations on this ski... It's an awesome thread with lots of good info... If I could find it for ya I would just post the link but I'm too lazy lol

Search for JetSkiGoodies thread on hull restoration/buffing... I believe he used all of JSG's recommendations on this ski... It's an awesome thread with lots of good info... If I could find it for ya I would just post the link but I'm too lazy lol
Yep I'm using his method. I used to do the 3m rubbing compound way but that was a lot of work for not as near as good of results. The only thing I do differently is I go ahead and wet sand the border of there the decals used to be with 320 then 600 then start on with the heavy cut.

I can't wait for a pic of that R motor. That's the kinda rare and cool that tickles my fancy. That thing is gonna be insane. I have a couple old 717 based motors like this but yours must have been one of the last two strokes they made for racing.

I can't wait for a pic of that R motor. That's the kinda rare and cool that tickles my fancy. That thing is gonna be insane. I have a couple old 717 based motors like this but yours must have been one of the last two strokes they made for racing.
From my understanding it was. They where going to mass produce them for the general public but the project got scrapped in favor of the 4tec.

In other news I finished the medium and fine cut on the hull yesterday, all now is the swirl remover and the wax.

598.jpg

599.jpg

600.jpg

You can see my new handle bars in those pics too. I'm gonna be flying the adrenalin racing cover on them since without help from Dan this thing wouldn't be coming together.

Also cleaned up the Magnum and installed the super steep impeller.

Before:
601.jpg

602.jpg

603.jpg

604.jpg

Impeller
605.jpg

After
606.jpg

607.jpg

608.jpg

Just gotta the fiberglass done and I can start throwing this thing together.

how did you get the pump cleaned up so well? cant wait to see this thing come together ! looks like it will be a rocket :thumbsup:

I cleaned it really good and painted it with this:
611.jpg

Anything you see with an aluminum look to it on this build has been painted with that. I was really skeptical at first when I bought it, but I really like the look of it.

Also here's another goodie that's gonna be going on this beast:
612.jpg

Rob

Dude when you're ready bring your ski by my house and we'll polish it up. You buy the polish and I'll do the buffing. Just text me and I'll tell ya what polish to buy. Really shouldn't take us more than a few hours. Especially with my rotary buffer it'll eat through that faded gel coat. :)

I've actually hit a few snags on the motor build. The R cylinders are supposed to be . 125" taller than the stock cylinders, thus the need for stroking the crank. However when my set where decked the mechinest took way too much material off. Now they are only .004" taller than stock. I'll post more this weekend on how I'm solving the issues.

I have my 97 XP with Dan now for a exhaust leak, and then he's going to do the motor in my wife's 96 GSX!!!! His shop is awesome, he really know his stuff!!!! The best part is he is only 15 miles away from my house!!!!

I have my 97 XP with Dan now for a exhaust leak, and then he's going to do the motor in my wife's 96 GSX!!!! His shop is awesome, he really know his stuff!!!! The best part is he is only 15 miles away from my house!!!!
He's a very good guy, and I'm proud to call him a friend.

I'm looking forward to having him service my 3 skis, no longer have to worry about who's working on my skis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There will be no more progress on this build until probably February or March due to me moving into a new shop, moving into a new house and various other thing I have going on this off season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back