Newbie...1999 Speedster SK - good buy??

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jhood

Hello,
This is my first time using the forum. I don't really know much about these boats other than they look fun and I think I want to purchase one. I recently looked at a 1999 Speedster SK. It it has a slightly different seating arrangement from what I've been seeing with a closed bow and 4 bucket style seats versus the 3 seats in the back, one rear facing and a bench in the front. I really like the look of the dual black windshields, too.

Without being disrespectful to other owners of this particular boat, I am looking to get some thoughts...good and bad, what to look for, known issues or any other information that would be helpful in my decision. I have only ridden in i/o and outboard boats along with a couple other jet ski's. I'm looking for a fun summer-time water toy to pull tubes, wakeboards, and maybe a skiier (I'm telling the wife it's for the kid(s) :) not for me). These boats seem like a really affordable way to get on the water.

Also, is there a place I could find some links to video clips of these things in action? I found a few on the web, but the filming wasn't the greatest.

Thanks!

Welcome to the seadoo forum jhood. I own a 1997 Challenger with a single 787 engine in it rated at 110 hp, and it is a blast. I also just bought a 200speedster with twin 4-tec engines in it with a 310 HP. Yes, that is an even bigger blast...lol I think other members here will chime in on the 1999 Speedster SK as It is a popular jet boat. I have owned outboards and I/O's and just replaced my 26' Chris Craft with a Chevy 350 I/O Volvo drive for my new speedster. The jet drive jet boat from seadoo unbelievable, compared to to the conventional boats in the market place. I bought my Challenger back in sept and got hooked on it, enough to buy a brand new one! It will pull a tube or a skier without any problems. It's easy to maintain and a cinch for any one to drive. If you decide to buy one, be sure you get a demo ride to make sure it is what you want. If you want to learn more about your jet boat or do your own maintenance and repairs you could join as a premium member and have access to all the authentic seadoo manuals in the seadoo forum library. In the library are operator manuals and service manuals for most all of the seadoo lines. It isn't free but for a small price it has tons of information available. Click on the link "Seadoo Manuals" at the top of the page for more details. It has helped me with regular maintenance and saved me a lot of money showing me how to do it myself. My 1997 wasn't new and it needed some TLC to keep it running. If you have any questions or need advice, we are just a click away. This seadoo forum is a friendly place with lots of active members eager to respond to any questions you might have.
Good luck on you purchase and come back soon.
Karl

Turn radius!...

The very first thing you'll discover in the difference between an outboard and a jet drive is the turning radius.
The things will turn on a dime. If your not careful, you'll get thrown out!

Ok, I'm sorry for not being more observant to the forum.....I see there is an entire section devoted to videos....ooops.

I've been seeing a lot of good comments about '96 and '97 challengers....how does a '99 speedster compare? I see it has more hp, but were there any drastic changes that would make me lean more toward a challenger? Is there any benefits to a 14 ft versus a 16 ft?

Speedster.....

Speedster is just what it says it is!.....it's a little twin 787cc monster. Fast, and nimble. The only thing I've heard about them is that when your trying to maneuver, the engines inability to put one in reverse and one in forward, keeps it from being easily maneuvered to the dock. But other than that, it's a monster on the water!..........good luck, great boat!

Monster, fast, nimble.....

Hearing the words: fast, nimble and a monster on the water is "music to my ears"......

The speedster I'm looking at has an enclosed storage in the bow instead of an additional seat. I don't see very many of these for sale. Is there a reason why (other than sea-doo didn't offer many? I like the idea of a large storage area, but not sure if I would be disappointed not having the additional seating. Other than a personal preference, are there any other reasons why I should stay away from a closed bow?

Personal preference is the only thing I can think of. I haven't heard any problems with the maneuverability at the dock. If it is anything like my new 200 speedster I bought, it is a dream to dock, and it turns in it's own axes, meaning it can turn in it's own length.Almost like hovering.
Karl

Made an offer....

Even though my questions are about as exciting as watching paint dry....thanks for all the feedback.

I made an offer on a speedster last night and will hopefully be picking it up today. I will post some pictures as soon as I can. I feel like a little kid in a candy store....

Now I get to wait for the 12 inches of ice to melt off our lakes.

Awesome man congrats. Definitely start a thread with some pics!

This seadoo forum is here for you !

Even though my questions are about as exciting as watching paint dry....thanks for all the feedback.

I made an offer on a speedster last night and will hopefully be picking it up today. I will post some pictures as soon as I can. I feel like a little kid in a candy store....

Now I get to wait for the 12 inches of ice to melt off our lakes.

The members in the seadoo forum are here for you! We all are here either for advise or to help fellow seadooers'( is that a word) when it comes to paint drying,I don't think anyone here is bored with you questions. We have all been where your are now, and in the direction you headed. That's what so special about this place...we all feel the same. If a member is bored with your post than they don't post and move on. It is about freedom and helping each other out...good luck and yes, you have to post pictures!
Karl

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool boat!

You said it has a closed bow? I havn't see something like that in seadoo out here on our river. All the seadoos here have the open bow models...Including mine!..........but you'll have a blast. Things things are like giant jet skis. They handle just like one. Jumping wakes and everything. Just don't forget you may have a tuber behind you when you decide to jump a wake coming at you. You could lose the tuber in all the excitment!.....:rofl:

Well, no speedster yet. Of all the day's my bank decides to upgrade their computer system and not be able to issue checks...arghhh! Shooting for Friday now, which was good since cleaning out a spot in my garage took a good part of my evening yesterday. How does a person acquire so much **** (replace with word(s) of choice).

Yes, it has a closed bow that opens for storage. It hinges at the very front of the boat. It has a couple shocks that assist in opening similar to a hatch back on a car. There's probably enough room to put a cooler, a few life jackets, wakeboard, and a few other things....including a small child....kidding of course :). Although I can picture my daughter curling up in it to take a nap while we sit back and enjoy a quiet area of the lake.

So, can these things really get airborne? My limited experience on a jet ski was incredible, but I figured these boats would be a little different. If that's the case this is going to be one cool ride. Lol, I'll keep the tuber in mind....

On my 1997 Challenger I have had that like 4-5' in the air easy! In my new
200speedster, I just got it broken in. I have had it like 6 ' out of the water with no problems! The speedster has a closed bow also with gas props for storage. I think it is agreat place to store all kinds of things. it is plenty big too. You will love the jet boat, that I promise you.
Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back