Speedster SK Backfire through carbs

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Jdal

Hi Everybody, I thought I would post a follow up to my original post here:

Speedster SK one engine dies when other goes WOT

When I searched the forums I never really found an answer that directly helped me so I thought I would post a new thread with what I learned in hopes of saving someone else some time/ headaches.

To recap: I bought a 99 speedster sk with a destroyed engine. I pieced together a replacement and actually got it to mostly run. I ended up replacing the carburetor, after I rebuilt the one It came with but was still having problems like excessive smoking and then horrible backfiring through carbs. I am fortunate enough to have more money than time so it was an appropriate solution for me.

With the the new carb it runs fantastic and I am thinking of replacing the carb on the other motor no too as I am getting about 5-10% better performance on the new carb/ motor depending on throttle position.

The backfiring was the last straw for me with the old carb but when I searched the forum, I wasn't able to find a good answer for what the issue might be and it seemed others had similar problems but no solutions. Here is what I discovered:

I learned from the forum that a backfire through carbs was a symptom of a lean condition. I pulled the plugs and discovered they were fouled with oil. OK looks lean then. I made sure spark arrestor and air box were on correctly and everything sealed and mated correctly. No change. started it at 0 throttle: No backfire. Moved throttle to 1/3: No backfire. Moved throttle to 1/2: BANG! Hypothesis: High speed jet issue. Solution: pull (in my case replace) carb and inspect. Sure enough High speed jet looked fine but after running a fine wire through it discovered it had some varnish as well as obstructions in the carb machining itself (this thing sat for years with fuel in it before I bought it) An ultrasonic cleaner might have cleared it up but I don't have one readily available.

Now for next issue: the carb I bought was a BN40i off amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BHI97RA?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
This carb comes with the pump integral to the carb so I had to do some replumbing of the pulse line and delete the existing external pump. Next winter I will probably pull the motor completely and relocate the pulse outlet from the crankcase to tidy things up a bit but for now - good enough.

Please if anybody with more experience has anything to add (or correct) please let me know! I have found this forum to be a wealth of knowledge and experience and was hoping to add to it for those of us just diving in.

I have a 1997 speedster with the same engines as you. The rare thing is that our engines twin 717s have a single carb with accelerator pump. I rebuilt and learned a lot as i went. One thing was that if you read the parts manual you will see the jetting change for the single carb 717. I ended up rebuilding both motors but never go the carbs to run right. I bought two new here Mikuni Carb Total change in the boat. I had a stalling issue that was intermittent that i think was related to the accelerator pump pop valve sticking open. The jetting is great and the engine runs well across the throttle ranges. They are genuine new mikuni carbs as well. For the price they are well worth it. Set the idle and the low speed jet and you are done!

Back