New to Jet Ski... have a starting problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SamNJax

Hi everyone. I just got a 2005 RXT a few weeks ago. It's my first ski. It was running fine until last week. I started it up for a second the night before I was planning to head out and it cranked up. I shut it down and a few seconds later tried to start it again but nothing. To be specific, the information center comes on, but when pressing the start button, the TOPS valve (I think that's what it is) repeatedly clicks and I don't think the starter turns. I'm not sure if the TOPS is supposed to click constantly or not. At first I thought it was the starter relay, so I replaced that but that wasn't it. I've checked fuses and they are good. Can anyone offer me some help/ideas before I take it to the dealership ?

Thanks,

Sam.

oh, and the only fault code i get is one for the compass which has been there since i got it and not caused a problem.

Verify it's not the starter relay by taking the rubber post caps off and arcing across the posts with a large screwdriver or wrench... if the starter engages and turns the engine over that way, then the relay is faulty. If not, something is wrong with the starter itself.

Are you saying you are hearing a constant clicking sound when you depress the Start/Stop button, or is it just 1 click each press of the Start/Stop button? 1 click as you press the Start/Stop button would be a bad starter relay not the TOPS valve.

Try arching across the starter relay 1st and report back what it does please. Even a new starter relay can possibly be bad.

- Michael

This is the third no start issue I have seen recently with an 05 RXT (including mine). Wild! Michael's right, always check the solenoid again to be sure. I've seen bad parts right out of the box before.

ok... so i did a little looking at the manual and then i started testing voltages. everything seemed ok. i was only getting 10.5v at the relay though. i attributed that to the many start attempts over the past few days without running the engine to recharge. threw the battery charger on a 2A charge for a few hours and it started right up. so i guess my rectifier is bad...

More likely you just ran the battery down. You might want to take the battery and get it tested, if it's a few years old it may be nearing the end of it's life cycle. About 3 years is what most people report their batteries lasting on these 4TEC engines... it takes a lot of amps to turn one over.

- Michael

def not the battery. i checked the output from the charging system at the fuse before the batter and got not juice. the next steps in the manual for the diagnostic have you check the stator output, but you need a breakout harness that i don't have. anyone know of an easier way to check the stator ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back