New Owner of 1996 GTI Sea Doo

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Water Horse IV

Hello, I just purchased a 1996 GTI Sea Doo. Test drive was fabulous prior to purchase. Purchased, transferred and tagged my new toy. My first ride on the lake lasted 10 minutes. No sour grapes realizing Sea Doo is 17 young & test drive went well. I've bought new battery (needed it anyway), new plugs, jump box (good to have onboard), hydraulic jack (needed one for trailer), spare tire and some other minor items. Trailered Sea Doo to a reputable (appears to be) PWC mechanic for a Carburetor rebuild for $361.00 (9 working days later). 2nd launch/ride lasted the same amount of time with the same problem. I am staying positive hoping it's a process of elimination (Carb probably needed a rebuild and/or clean). Sea Doo is back in the same shop with their comitement to launch enabling mechanic to ride and Diagnose. I am frustrated. I would love for a forum member to diagnose the problem. Out of respect to the forum I will not post my Sea Doo's symptoms on this meet -n- greet site. And, until my new toy is fixed my extra expenses (joining premium membership) are limited. I don't know whether to post a laughing smiley face or frustrated smiley face. Oh, did I say my engine runs strong the entire time my Sea Doo acts up. And, it starts strong everytime.
:facepalm:

Welcome to the forum. Sorry you are having troubles with your new GTI. I don't see where you say what exactly is happening when the trouble starts. You do mention not becoming a premium member. You don't need to be a premium member to post in the 2-stroke PWC section of the forum. Try posting your specific issues there.

Thank you El Toro. I'll check out the 2-stroke PWC Section. I noticed you have same model Sea Doo. Day of trial run it ran great. History on Sea Doo...... New crated motor less than 12 hours, New Battery.. Launched Sea Doo for the first time it ran great for about ten minutes. All of a sudden when I pushed the trottle to take off it would rev, rev, rev (engine sounding strong) but SD would only move a fraction above idle speed. I tried to push the throttle 1/3, 1/2 and then 3/4 way down with no luck other than a reving engine. Engine never stalled. And SD idle worked. Took Sea Doo to Mechanic near lake (seems to be a reputable Watercraft mechanic). The carburetor was cleaned/rebuilt $361.00. Launched SD second time...Same problem only this time is reved, reved, reved and took off like a bad out of hell running perfect and fast. Stayed closed to ramp letting of throttle to see if it would hesitate again. Sure enough SD would Rev, Rev, Rev, Rev, Rev and then take off again. I attempted the drill 4 or 5 times until the SD refused to take off only Reving. Motor never shut off and idle continues to work. And, SD starts with no hesitation. SD is back at the same shop and this time the owner has agreed to launch the SD so he can see what's going on. As the trottle was pushed each time, it felt like the SD was trying to grab a gear but couldn't get ahold of it to take off. SD is in the shop. Mechanic is going to look at Impellar this time. I've asked him to look at the fuel lines to see if they have been changed to "Black from Grey", The voltage Regulator, Any water in the Black Box and the Impellor to see it there is a problem with the Splines in the PTO/Wear Ring. I am crossing my fingers having paid for a new toy that I cannot enjoy. My suggestions have all come from reading the Sea Doo Forums... Thanks Again.

Hi WH,

With the description your giving of it revving and it not going anywhere it will not be carb or fuel related.

It could be wear ring in the pump went bad but the rev rev rev and no moving will make me suspect broken or stripped PTO or carbon seal.

If the engine is reaching high revs, then you have some sort of propulsion issue.

Could be cavitation, bad wear ring, bad shaft seal (which sucks air from inside the hull into the impeller and creates cavitation).

You need to get under the ski and get GOOD pictures of the impeller and wear ring. We can normally see well enough to determine if that is the issue.

It could be as simple as a line wrapped around the impeller for example...

More details do help. What you are explaining sounds like cavitation. The engine revs but the craft doesn't get up to speed. It can be cause by debris getting into the jet pump intake grate or the carbon ring being worn. Does the area where you rode have seaweed? Just turn off the engine, jump off the ski and feel the intake grate for stuff clogging it. If that doesn't help, look at the drive shaft/impeller area when it's on the trailer. Things could be in there. The carbon seal is what keeps the inside of the hull sealed where the driveshaft passes through to the jet pump. The seal gets weak/worn and the propulsion sucks air, causing the motor to rev but not accelerate.

Where in KY are you? LouDoo, a member/moderator here lives in Lexington and has a 96 GTI too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or in my case a couple yrs ago it was a hand full of weeds around the shaft. It was my very first post in here.

I live in the same area as LouDoo. Thank you for sharing the (LouDoo) tidbit. He/she will serve as a great resource if I don't get any resolution which I hope is not the case? Nolin Lake (no seaweed or debri). The mechanics have been SUPER nice & appear to be reputable. I hate to be trouble shooting behind the scenes. I am impatient wondering why the heck these little machines have not been perfected after all these years. I am beyond being anxious for a solution. Each visit to the shop is another two weeks out of the water. I realize it's the nature of the beast. Thank you so much for all of your suggestions. I will let you know the end result. Great Site.

Thank you so much for your reply. I will let you know what the end result is. And, soon I hope. This process is super frustrating for a new Sea Doo owner. I was so maticulous about picking one out. A little fun before the craziness began would have been nice. My frustration has almost turned comical, as every Sea Doo owner has experienced. I have respectfully given the Mechanic's suggestions after research that seems to point to the same answers from the great peoplel in the Forum. Hopefully, I haven't bitten that hand that has my Sea Doo. OMG AS THE KIDS SAY.... JUST GOT THE CALL FROM THE SHOP. IT WAS THE WEAR RING (GREAT DIAGNOSIS OCOD) AND A NICKED UP IMPELLOR AND HOUSING UNIT?. i DECIDED TO FIX WEAR RING FOR $50.00, NEW IMPELLAR FOR $150.00 AND NEW HOUSING UNIT FOR $250.00.... YEAH I'M SEEING THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNELL. WHAT AN AWESOME SITE. AND, IT LOOKS LIKE THE MECHANIC WAS ON IT AS WELL.

You were right on it . Just got the call from the Mechanic. It was the Wear Ring that had completely disenigrated... I am going to pay to have the Wear Ring fixed, the Impellar that was dinged up pretty good and the Housing Unit that was old. This is costing around $500.00 and to be honest I'm fine with it. And, a promise to have my Sea Doo by next Friday. Thanks so much for everyone's imput that of which puts me at ease realizng everyone's diagnosis was basically the same... I love this site. And, something tells me I'll be back soon, hopefully not too soon. THANK SO MUCH.

Ok,,, Here is the next potential issue.

You say you had the carbs redone. That is fine but,,,, do you have Grey Tempo fuel lines?
If so, they MUST go. The ethanol in today's fuel reacts with the Grey style line and it "goos" up on the inside of the line. This does two major things. It makes the ski run lean which will destroy the engine and it plugs the filters, fuel selector, filters inside the carbs and the carbs themselves...

I hear your frustration, but you are on the right track to having a ski that will make you happy for years to come.

Mechanic just called.. Yeah....
I need... 1. Wear Ring 2. Impellar and 3. Housing Unit... The Wear Ring was a must with the other two damaged but workable. I am keeping my Sea Doo for the long haul. So, I opted to have all three items fixed....Thanks for offering your suggestion and support. the Sea Doo Forum rocks.

You and I posted within one-minute of each other.

I'm replying again so that you see there is a new post.

Read my post (#11).

Thanks Coastie Joe.. I am going to definitely have the lines changed at the end of the Summer. I asked the previous owner about the lines and she said the lines currently in the Sea Doo are not the bad ones. I'll have to look and see for myslef upon pick up. I cannot thank you fellas enough. I feel confident with everyone agreeing on the same line items (and as of today, including the mechanic) that I am on my way to enjoying my new toy at least for a while. This site will serve me well as it obvious has others. Have a great weekend Coastie Joe.

Mechanic just called.. Yeah....
I need... 1. Wear Ring 2. Impellar and 3. Housing Unit... The Wear Ring was a must with the other two damaged but workable. I am keeping my Sea Doo for the long haul. So, I opted to have all three items fixed....Thanks for offering your suggestion and support. the Sea Doo Forum rocks.

I may a housing cheap.
You need new bearings at 50 bucks and new WR at 50 then prop exchange with SBT for 50

Stop! Mechanic at $500 bucks way too too much for something you can do........................

Ocod:
Did I say I was a tomboy girly girl... I'm going to pay the $500.00. I have a pink tool box, a jack box (that I use), a hydraulic jack (learning to use), Spare Tire (hope I don't have to use) and a hitch that I regularly use regularly with different tows and I drive a Truck. With this being said, I am going to buy an owners manuel and start getting to know my new Sea Doo. I'm taking baby steps right now. Again thank you so much for your insight..

Ocod:
Did I say I was a tomboy girly girl... I'm going to pay the $500.00. I have a pink tool box, a jack box (that I use), a hydraulic jack (learning to use), Spare Tire (hope I don't have to use) and a hitch that I regularly use regularly with different tows and I drive a Truck. With this being said, I am going to buy an owners manuel and start getting to know my new Sea Doo. I'm taking baby steps right now. Again thank you so much for your insight..

No worries but don't spend more for nothing if your nothing getting anything special.

The oem prop can be exchanged for a new one for 50 bucks with SBT. That save you a hundred right there. Unless he's giving you a performance impeller??
The housing go for 50-75 plain. No where near the 300 quote!

I will definitely see if I can get him down on his price a little (no worries I won't bust your cover/lol). I appreciate the hints. I am so relieved that this chapter is almost over. Have a great weekend. I really love this site. Thanks for all of your help.

I'm not seeing how a housing can become damaged to the point of needing a new one. The wear ring takes all the beating, hence its name. A few nicks in the brass behind the impeller won't hurt anything. I say don't even get a new housing, if anything, just a rebuild kit. I'm knocking on wood when I say this, but my '92 is on its original housing and has only had its oil changed. Nothing wrong it at all, spins perfectly and no side-side shaft play what-so-ever. These are pretty stout units and don't typically need replacing unless the bearings inside blew up and destroyed the internal cavity. Just putting in my 2 cents of experience ;)

Thanks IDoSeaDoo. I seriously appreciate everyone's two cents. The mechanic said the "Wear Ring" was a must. The Housiing Unit and Impellor were optional at this point. He said both had taking a beaten but would probably be okay without replacing for now. I decided after two trips to the shop I wanted it all fixed rather than hauling it back a third time right away. I guess next time I won't be so quick to fix it all. This site will definitely help me get my feet wet whereas ordering parts and learning how to maintain this new toy will come in handy. What a great resouce to have. Thanks again.

El Toro:

I really need some assistance. I am one of the newbie's to this site. I would really like to get in contact with LouDoo. You mentioned above that he is from Louisville (Thank you). I am going to need a back up plan if I don't get some satisfaction on my third visit to the mechanics shop. A nice group of men but my confidence is lacking after what transpired on Friday night.

I have now trailered my 1996 GTI Sea Doo back to the mechanic's shop for a third time. Friday night I reached my boiling point. I am so lucky that my Sea Doo did not sink. (My Sea Doo has a new engine/ new battery with about 14 hours on it). I'll spare you the entire story included on an earlier link of mine. Problem: Sea Doo always starts and stays running. It bogs down. The best I can get at half throttle is a fast idle.

1st Shop Visit: Carburetor clean/ rebuild/ new plugs $361.00 (Picked up 8 days later/Launched/ Sea Doo starts still bogging down/ immiedately take back to mechanics. I'm optimistic realizing the Carburetor probably needed cleaning anyhow.

2nd Shop Visit: I asked Mechanic to launch so they could see first hand what's continuing to happen. Shop called. It was the Wear Ring that had basically desenigrated. The "housing unit" was bent and the "Impellor" was nicked up. I was optimistic and asked that all three items be replaced. I'll have this Sea Doo for the long haul (I hope). So I didn't want it half as_ed. No offense to anyone just fix it all if it needs fixing. $661.00 I'm super optimistic knowing they found the problem. I immediately launch the same evening/Sea Doo immediately starts bogging...OKAY I'M AT MY WITS END. I BALANCE MYSELF ON THE WATER TO TAKE THE SEAT OFF HOPING I MAY SEE SOMETHING??? OMG AS MY TEENAGER SAYS. I TAKE THE SEAT OFF TO FIND WATER SPEWING/SPRAYING INTO THE SEA DOO AS WE ARE TAKING IN A LOT OF WATER AND FAST. THANK GOD I'M NOT FAR FROM THE RAMP. MY SEA DOO HAS NEVER TAKEN ON ANY WATER. I GET BACK TO THE RAMP EMPTY THE WATER THAT HAD ALREADY REACHED THE STYROFOAM ON EACH SIDE INSIDE.

3rd Visit to Shop: I take the Sea Doo back arriving as soon as they open. These fellas are super nice. And, I am at their mercy. In the best way possible I explain that they must have not put something back together. I explain my Sea Doo has never leaked and it's obvious from what I saw something was not put back togehter. I'm left with not knowing if the Wear Ring fixed things and perhaps we don't know because something wasn't put back together causing the water issues. I have left word with this shop that I WANT MY SEA DOO FIXED. I HAVE $1002.00 INTO THIS FIX AND THE DAMN THING HAS NEVER BEEN FIXED THAT I CAN SEE. I'M WONDERING WHO'S TINKERING WITH MY SEA DOO. I WOULD BE SHIT OUT OF LUCK HAD MY SEA DOO SANK THIS PAST FRIDAY.

I really need to get some solid advice. The guys at this shop are super nice. I have been super nice knowing they have my Sea Doo and I am at their mercy. Perhaps LouDoo can offer me some advice. My confidence in this shop is severely lacking at this point.

Thank you. Allie

Allie,

I will PM LouDoo and have him look you up or answer this thread. I'm surprised he didn't stumble across it already. Met Lou in person..... Great guy.

Thanks so much El Toro. I really appreciate it. Sorry my rant was so lengthy. I have no regrets buying this Sea Doo. And, I know one day it's going to be a lot of fun. I'm just very frustrated. I am so appreciative to have found this site. Have a great day.

(shakes head) My heart goes out to you Allie. It sounds like they didn't put the carbon seal back together properly, hence the leak. These guys are a joke if they claim to know how to work on SeaDoos. The bogging is not from any propulsion systems. That's likely either a carburetor or Rotary Valve problem. Maybe they didn't put the carbs together properly, or used the wrong spring, or the carbs weren't the problem in the first place and your rotary valve clearance is too high. Maybe you have a case leak somewhere. It's hard to say without diagnosing it myself. Unfortunately, I'm in NC. There are a myriad reasons you could be experiencing that problem, and the mechanics should've felt it when they water tested it. On a positive note, I'm not sure these things CAN sink even if you put a big hole in them. With all the foam and air pockets in the tanks, I believe it would just barely float (at least for a while). Afterall, fuel and oil are both lighter than water, and there are many places that would trap air as well ;) I sure hope you find someone who knows what they're doing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back