New Owner of 1996 GTI Sea Doo

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks so much El Toro. I really appreciate it. Sorry my rant was so lengthy. I have no regrets buying this Sea Doo. And, I know one day it's going to be a lot of fun. I'm just very frustrated. I am so appreciative to have found this site. Have a great day.

No problem about the rant... I certainly can understand your frustration, and agree that it sounds that they left something disconnected when reassembling your GTI. Could you tell where the water was coming in? Around the drive shaft?

Thanks IDoSeaDoo... I found out that one of the guys is certified to work on PWC. I was able to talk to him on Saturday morning. He did looked inside as I pointed to the bendable piece of plastic cover showing him where the water was coming from. He mumbled something to the other guy moving this rubber plastic expandable piece under the cover saying "this should be moving like this". I could have sworn he said "it's on backwards".. This situation is definitely becoming ass backwards. I guess if you own one of these things you have to laugh verses breaking crazy. Thank you and I will definitley and hopefully post a short reply if this Sea Doo is ever resurrected. Love this site.

Thanks IDoSeaDoo... I found out that one of the guys is certified to work on PWC. I was able to talk to him on Saturday morning. He did looked inside as I pointed to the bendable piece of plastic cover showing him where the water was coming from. He mumbled something to the other guy moving this rubber plastic expandable piece under the cover saying "this should be moving like this". I could have sworn he said "it's on backwards".. This situation is definitely becoming ass backwards. I guess if you own one of these things you have to laugh verses breaking crazy. Thank you and I will definitley and hopefully post a short reply if this Sea Doo is ever resurrected. Love this site.

This is usually where water pours in from carbon_1.jpg

Long metal bar (I guess that's the drive shaft) from the back of Sea Doo to the back middle finding a plastic bendable grey cover. The water was spewing/spraying from underneath the cover. This is the same area where you find a plastic rubber piece (size of a samll plum) that look expandable if you were to stretch it. I could move this black piece of rubber back-n-forth v. being secured. I'm sorry I'm not very good at describing these parts. Thank you.

Ocod: Yes this was the area. And that black plastic flexible piece was not secured. You could push it back and forth on the metal bar. Thank you Ocod.

Any chance the Sea Doo is fixed when they added the new "Wear Ring", and they just didn't put the pieces back together right? I know I am reaching.
Thanks!

^ There is just so much wrong....

To take pump off the bailers which suck water could be siphoning water in now??

The carbon seal rubber accordion not secured that will explain water coming in??

If there is extra play on drive shaft they may of not put the rubber bump stops at ea end of driveshaft??..............

See where I'm going. Thats why we suggest trying this on your own first to save headache from others irresponsibility fixing you ski........

I would start all over.....

Ocod: Thanks for using the word "accordian' that's the word I was looking for. Yes that's the area where the water was coming in. And, yes plenty of play in the accordian piece. I am super self sufficient and hard headed. It pains me to say "I can't". But I don't think I'm equipped to dig into the brains of this Sea Doo. I'm so afraid of messing something else up. I am hoping that someone in my area may be able to steer me in the right direction, should I launch my Sea Doo the 4th time and it's not fixed. Otherwise I may pop a couple of caps in the hull and have a farewell party.... I'm kidding I would not do that. Thanks Ocod.

Just looking over old post to take notes on possible things that could be wrong. I noticed this post regarding keeping the old parts. Damn I wish I would have done what you suggested. After my last launch I have been questioning/doubting it all. I left the shop thinking damn I should have asked for my parts to ensure new ones were installed. I know that's awful to say. Again they couldn't be any nice. This is business and my money.

^Have you gotten in touch with lou?

He'll be your best reference for where to in KY.

But he's petty handy himself and may take on challenge since we had/have same ski .........................

I believe El Toro is going to reach out to him on my behalf. I believe he is in Louisville which would be perfect. Thank you Ocod. And, I will go ahead and order the manual on my 1996. I've looked at one online. I plan on keeping this Sea Doo for the long haul. I can start getting my feet wet with the small stuff. Respectfully!

I don't know how but apparently I missed this whole thread. I admit I didn't read the thread word for word. There are a couple of things that are glaring, when your guy overhauled the carbs. they apparently didn't clean the fuel delivery system, ie replace the grey tempo hoses, replace the fuel control valve, etc.

This is like closing the barn door after the horses are out. Your carbs. are just going to get clogged again, causing your ski to bog.

I'm not sure what is causing the leak, the best way to find out is to either ride it with the seat off and look, or back the ski attached to the trailer in the water and see if you can tell where the leak is. Places to check are the carbon seal and look for any leaks in the exhaust pipe. An exhaust leak would also cause your ski to run badly because it's trying to run on carbon monoxide and less oxygen.

Despite a common conception Lexington is not next to Louisville, we're about 1-1/2 hours away, but I would imagine when you go to Nolin Lake you come through here. I'm not a professional mechanic, just a shade tree mechanic like most guys on this forum, but if you want to swing by sometime I will be glad to look at your ski, maybe even fix it. I also have a 96GTI, and it's been a great ski.

Lou

Attachments

• 100_0251.jpg
    100_0251.jpg
    398 KB · Views: 7
LouDoo:

Thank you for responding. I appreciate El Toro forwarding my saga. I head to Nolin Lake on 65 until I reach the Upton Exit. However, I drive to Frankfort a couple of times each month. So, Lexington is not a far drive. The leak is at the drive shaft under the gray bendable cover in the same area where the accordian black piece is located. Perhaps someone at the shop did not put something back together?? My Sea Doo did not have a leak. My only problem was bogging down. Engine always starts and continues to run strong. I realize fixing a Sea Doo can be a process of elimination before pinpointing the problem. And, for this reason I have continued to be respectful, patient and accomodating up until the last pick up. I immediately launched my Sea Doo finding another problem (that did not exist) that could have ruined a new engine, not to mention $1002.00 worth of tithing.

So, needless to say I have lost my patience, confidence while trying to be respectful. THE GUYS AT THIS SHOP HAVE ALWAYS BEEN RESPECTFUL AND SUPER NICE. They just arent' getting the job done.

I was firm when I dropped it off the next morning, letting them know I'm basically fed up wanting this Sea Doo fixed. I asked if they were certified PWC ? One person is certified. I asked (for what it worth) if this person would personally take control of my Sea Doo and get the job done. I dropped the "F" bomb once or twice unintentionally (apologizing afterwards) letting them know I'm done stick a fork in me. I never yelled and continued to let them know I appreciate their efforts but this is ridiculous. I asked them to launch my Sea Doo after their third attempt before they contact me for pick up. I let them know I'm coming in for pick up on the 9th of August and I expect my Sea Doo to be fixed. I MAY HAVE SLIT MY THROAT ESPECIALLY COMING FROM A HEN.

I will launch my Sea Doo on the evening of the 9th. I realize helping someone else with their Sea Doo is not on the top of your priority list. I SO APPREICATE THE OFFER. YOU ARE TOO KIND. I will pay you for your time and parts should I contact you and if you agree to help? Other than advice, I take/ expect nothing for free. PLEASE KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED. I'LL REPORT BACK ON THE 12TH OF AUGUST.

Thank you so much!

Thanks Ocod! Yes Lou Doo reached out and I responded. You were right on it saying he may offer to take on the challenge. My brother has a 1996 GTI. I love this year. I have no regrets buying this Sea Doo. I just want to have some fun. Thanks for helping.

Ocod: If you remember my Sea Doo Story, check out my post today regarding Extreme Sports in KY., along with my last request to the Forum the day before and then getting the news I recieved today. I haven't been this mad since my divorce 14 + years ago. I have officially been taken to the cleaners by these Ass____. Just venting to what only Sea Doo owners will appreciate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back