New Guy, with a New-to-me 1994 Seadoo Spx

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGTEX2010

Hey Guys,

I have been lurking for a while and I have to say that I have found a lot of very useful information. So I guess I will make this a combination introduction/build thread.

A little about me:
I'm a born and raised outdoors man from a small town just outside of Ottawa, Ontario Canada. I have always loved being on the water and remember my first time on a PWC, it was an older model tigershark and we were at a friend of the family's cottage on the St. Lawrence River ... I spent the entire day riding around the island(I wasn't allowed to go very far as I was only 12-13 years old) and put through countless tanks of gas.... and I was hooked.

Well that brings me to about 5 years ago, I heard that a high school friend had an unknown seadoo that was no longer being used at her cottage because "something had broke" and her dad was in the process of repairing it. Well at that time I had offered her father a couple hundred dollars to take it off his hands and well he declined, and said it was worth more if he simply fixed it and enjoyed it at their cottage.

Fast forward to this past summer(2012); I received a text message from the girl whose father was repairing this seadoo, well he had made no more progress since I had talked to him before and he was tired of looking at the boat sitting on a trailer in his back yard, and he was going to just send it off for scrap. She had remembered that I wanted it previous and I was offered the opportunity to go look at it and "take it away" ... yes! you read that right, basically all I had to do was show up with a truck and load it up and take it away and it was mine. So I had a friend swing by with his truck and bring it to my place, where it has sat while I acquired the majority of the parts that it needed to repair it.

These are from the day my buddy brought it over to my house...

81.jpg

82.jpg

83.jpg

84.jpg

85.jpg

86.jpg

So once I got it to my place we unloaded it and immediately broke out the pressure washer to get some of the years of dirt and abuse of from it, surprisingly enough it cleaned up not to bad...

This is my buddy Joel running the pressure washer, I am operating the camera...

87.jpg

88.jpg

89.jpg
90.jpg

Cleaned up not too bad eh?? ...

91.jpg

92.jpg

93.jpg

94.jpg

95.jpg

And that brings us to today, I finally have sometime to work on it and I am more then excited to get it running and to get out on the water... this will be a slow build as I am not very experienced with small engines and definitly not seadoo engines, I am more of a truck/car guy, so I pulled it out of the corner and started to sort out the parts and took an inventory...

96.jpg

97.jpg

98.jpg

99.jpg

100.jpg

101.jpg

102.jpg

103.jpg

The following pictures are some of the damage that I have to address at some point in the future ...

104.jpg

105.jpg

So that is pretty much how it sits tonight, I will do my best to keep this thread updated as I progress.

Let me know what you guys think as well as any and all suggestions you may have for me ... I will probably also be posting a lot of questions as I encounter them and I thank you all in advance for the help I will receive...

The plan is basically to get it up and running any enjoy it, and I want to make it as mechanically sound as possible.

Oh an since I am in the lovely country of Canada, I have about 3-4 months before I will be able to get this thing out on the water, because we have 3 feet of snow on the ground currently ... lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to be brutally honest, I don't think that this ski is worth saving, if you can somehow piece the motor back together into a rebuildable core your looking at $800.00 plus for a rebuilt engine, ($600.00 plus freight). Looking at the pictures you've got grey fuel lines, the means a full fuel system rebuild. Pump unknown condition, electrical also unknown, but I would bet you will be looking at work there. This doesn't even count the cosmetic issues.

I'm no professional but I have owned and worked on SeaDoo's, and rebuilt a few for a number of years and even with my knowledge I wouldn't attempt a rebuild on this ski. My advice to you would be to sell it for whatever you can get, and put that money toward a better, hopefully, running ski. I'm not trying to be harsh just trying to be honest.

Lou

Tex, welcome to the forum, good to see another Canuck on. I think Lou has a valid point, that ski in Ontario is worth $1500-$2000 at best in good running condition and cosmetically decent condition with a cheap trailer. From what I can tell from the pictures and what you have posted by the time you do carbs, fuel lines/filter, jet pump oil, oil lines/filter and motor work you will be into it for more then that. Plus the miscellaneous item that you dont know about yet need to be considered.

MPEM: is it still working $300-500
Pump/Oring: is it worn
battery: I didnt see one in the picture
starter: does it work

Just a thought.............Im not sure how far you are from the border but I have been picking up skis in new york and ohio, here are a few examples of what you can be looking at down there for the same or less money then what you might have to put into the one you got. Either way, good luck with your decision, the forum will always be here to help no matter what you choose to do.
http://syracuse.craigslist.org/boa/3525543422.html
http://syracuse.craigslist.org/rvs/3448677750.html
http://plattsburgh.craigslist.org/boa/3431960263.html
http://potsdam.craigslist.org/boa/3409464465.html

I just reread your post, and you said that you were acquiring some parts, so I am assuming you are well on your way with the project, (no snow on the ground in the pictures), did you go over everything, if so, what did you all need? Is it as bad as it looks?

My suggestion would be to give it a thorough check over, pump condition, electrical inspection, and see what it needs to get running- cosmetics are last priority. Yep, she is going to be a money pit! But you may luck out and get it running again. It will be a long road but just make a list of the areas to check over and start tearing into it.

I tend to agree with the others...although they are all money pits, this model isnt worth alot once done. On top of that, if you cant get it in Canada shipping is going to nickel and dime you to death.

If I can be of help with parts just let me know.

Thanks for all of the responses so far ...

I'm going to be brutally honest, I don't think that this ski is worth saving, if you can somehow piece the motor back together into a rebuildable core your looking at $800.00 plus for a rebuilt engine, ($600.00 plus freight). Looking at the pictures you've got grey fuel lines, the means a full fuel system rebuild. Pump unknown condition, electrical also unknown, but I would bet you will be looking at work there. This doesn't even count the cosmetic issues.

I'm no professional but I have owned and worked on SeaDoo's, and rebuilt a few for a number of years and even with my knowledge I wouldn't attempt a rebuild on this ski. My advice to you would be to sell it for whatever you can get, and put that money toward a better, hopefully, running ski. I'm not trying to be harsh just trying to be honest.

Lou

I appreciate your honesty and have considered on more then one occasion that it may be a lost ski ... But I am hoping that I can bring myself some satisfaction of resurrecting this long neglected boat.

Tex, welcome to the forum, good to see another Canuck on. I think Lou has a valid point, that ski in Ontario is worth $1500-$2000 at best in good running condition and cosmetically decent condition with a cheap trailer. From what I can tell from the pictures and what you have posted by the time you do carbs, fuel lines/filter, jet pump oil, oil lines/filter and motor work you will be into it for more then that. Plus the miscellaneous item that you dont know about yet need to be considered.

MPEM: is it still working $300-500
Pump/Oring: is it worn
battery: I didnt see one in the picture
starter: does it work

Just a thought.............Im not sure how far you are from the border but I have been picking up skis in new york and ohio, here are a few examples of what you can be looking at down there for the same or less money then what you might have to put into the one you got. Either way, good luck with your decision, the forum will always be here to help no matter what you choose to do.
http://syracuse.craigslist.org/boa/3525543422.html
http://syracuse.craigslist.org/rvs/3448677750.html
http://plattsburgh.craigslist.org/boa/3431960263.html
http://potsdam.craigslist.org/boa/3409464465.html

I just reread your post, and you said that you were acquiring some parts, so I am assuming you are well on your way with the project, (no snow on the ground in the pictures), did you go over everything, if so, what did you all need? Is it as bad as it looks?

Hey Kicker, where about in Ontario are you?
I am approximately 1-1.5hours from the border, however I have a friend that I visit in up state NY quite frequently.

I did go over everything and from what I can tell between parts that I got because I didn't think the originals were still good and the parts that I was missing, I am only $350 into it and that includes the new gasket kits and new battery(old one wouldn't hold a charge). I am really hoping that I have everything I need to breath some life into this thing and that it really isn't as bad as it looks.

I also did some checking and found that the average asking price for this ski is in the $1500 range and therefore I set my limit at $750, if I start to come too close to that then I will sell what I have and try to salvage some lost funds.

My suggestion would be to give it a thorough check over, pump condition, electrical inspection, and see what it needs to get running- cosmetics are last priority. Yep, she is going to be a money pit! But you may luck out and get it running again. It will be a long road but just make a list of the areas to check over and start tearing into it.

I agree with you that they are all money pits and that we never really get out of them what we have invested, but that could be said with any hobby. I have checked over the majority of the ski and with some help from threads on this forum I think that most of it is in decent condition ... but yes I am going to tear into it further to be sure that it will be reliable enough for me to use at the cottage on the weekends.

I tend to agree with the others...although they are all money pits, this model isnt worth alot once done. On top of that, if you cant get it in Canada shipping is going to nickel and dime you to death.

If I can be of help with parts just let me know.

:cheers:

I have already been checking out some of the parts that you have for sale ... If I need anything I will for sure get in touch with you to see if we can work something out.

Also, as I mentioned earlier I have a friend that lives in up state NY that I visit regularly, and he has no objections to me having stuff shipped there, which saves me a lot of headaches from stuff crossing the border. All I have to do is go pick it up and most of the times when I cross back into Canada the border patrol agents are nice enough not to make me pay duty on used parts, however I have had to on occasion for larger items(keep in mind this has all been with car/truck parts until now).

I am only 5 minutes from the border, I cross over in Niagara Falls and use a US mailing address to have all of my items shipped too. Its easier and cheaper then doing international shipments.

If you can turn it into a runner for a total investment of $750............giver. Sounds like your fairly determined to get through it, so I am sure you'll make it happen. Good Luck.

I am only 5 minutes from the border, I cross over in Niagara Falls and use a US mailing address to have all of my items shipped too. Its easier and cheaper then doing international shipments.

If you can turn it into a runner for a total investment of $750............giver. Sounds like your fairly determined to get through it, so I am sure you'll make it happen. Good Luck.

Definitely easier and a lot cheaper on most items.

If all goes well(and I remember to take pictures) you will be able to follow along in my journey to bringing it back to life lol... and I like building/fabrication, I think its something to do with seeing the end result. I find it extremely satisfying.

Thanks again for your well wishes.

I wonder if someone put the oil in the crankcase or if the seals were leaking. As long as you have that US address your good. The cheapest way I can send parts to canada is a bubble mailer USPS and its $15. Same mailer in the US, $5

I wonder if someone put the oil in the crankcase or if the seals were leaking. As long as you have that US address your good. The cheapest way I can send parts to canada is a bubble mailer USPS and its $15. Same mailer in the US, $5

The previous owner said he filled it with oil as a precaution to prevent the internals from rusting ... I will find out more about what is going on inside there once I get the crank case out of the hull I guess.

Well if you got an engine guy and the bottom end is good it shouldnt cost you too much. Just make sure to go through the carbs, change the fuel lines, and verify the pump is in good shape.

Well if you got an engine guy and the bottom end is good it shouldnt cost you too much. Just make sure to go through the carbs, change the fuel lines, and verify the pump is in good shape.

A friend of mine is a mechanic at a local RV dealership at one point I think he had 4 Mach-Z sled engines on the go at his home garage... he also deals with PWC daily at work, he has told me that he would give me a hand with the tear down and re-build of the engine, so I think I will be ok there. I also have a pair of carb rebuild kits and some lengths of replacement fuel line(not the grey), the pump is my main concern at this stage, but I did a preliminary visual inspection and it looks to be ok. Also the MEPM is in unknown condition currently. Here's hoping it goes smoothly and that I have all my bases covered.

On the MPEM just open it up and check the fuses. If they are fine and water didnt get into the box it is prob fine.

Pump wise if its spinning currently and you dont see any chunks missingon the pump, the wear ring, and the prop isnt bent you are good there...just make sure the pump oil gets changed.

You might as well pull it b/c you'll need the pump out to align the motor.

On the MPEM just open it up and check the fuses. If they are fine and water didnt get into the box it is prob fine.

Pump wise if its spinning currently and you dont see any chunks missingon the pump, the wear ring, and the prop isnt bent you are good there...just make sure the pump oil gets changed.

You might as well pull it b/c you'll need the pump out to align the motor.

Well I made a little more progress on the disassembly last night, and I did the checks you mentioned ... and everything seems to be in check. See the pics below.

MPEM seems to be in decent shape and all the fuses are intact and none of them blown...

154.jpg

Engine is out...

155.jpg

And the pump is out and a closer look seems to confirm my preliminary inspection ... everything seems ok.

156.jpg

157.jpg

The wear ring could probably be replaced...but no major chunks missing from it or the impeller. The marks you see on the impeller are debris or sealing compound from when I pulled the pump off.

158.jpg

That MPEM looks pretty good for the age of the ski, thats a bonus cause they are expensive, even used. The wear ring looks fine in the picture, put a gauge in there to see what the clearance is, if it is more then 1mm you should change it. Impeller looks nice, I am glad to see you are well on your way to proving me wrong.......... and that it is worth bringing back to life.

That MPEM looks pretty good for the age of the ski, thats a bonus cause they are expensive, even used. The wear ring looks fine in the picture, put a gauge in there to see what the clearance is, if it is more then 1mm you should change it. Impeller looks nice, I am glad to see you are well on your way to proving me wrong.......... and that it is worth bringing back to life.

I wouldn't say I am trying to prove anyone wrong ... and I am glad to see that I am changing some of your opinions the deeper I get into this thing.

I am hoping to finish the disassembly this weekend and clean up the inside of the hull and hopefully start putting the majority of it back together ...

Check the backside of the prop and the veins inside the pump for damage...but from the pix it looks like you got a nice base to build up.

Were just so conditioned to run into issues on these ol' turdskis so dont blame us.

Regardless...carb kits, fuel lines, battery, seat cover, these bastards will nickle and dime you to death.

Check the backside of the prop and the veins inside the pump for damage...but from the pix it looks like you got a nice base to build up.

Were just so conditioned to run into issues on these ol' turdskis so dont blame us.

Regardless...carb kits, fuel lines, battery, seat cover, these bastards will nickle and dime you to death.

I will check out the back side of the prop and the veins to make sure everything is in decent shape. I don't blame you guys at all, I run into the same things when I look at cars/trucks that I re-build, a lot of the times it doesn't look like it is worth saving until you dig a little deeper into it. Even then it comes down to how much time/effort and money you want to spend making them right again.

I have Minkuni carb kits, and a new OEM battery but I do need to find a seat cover and also there are couple little pieces that I know I still have to find/order. The way I look at it is, even if I had bought it in good running condition, I would still probably be nickled and dimed into making things better. The goal for this one right now is just to make it a runner for this summer and then maybe next winter I will be able to put some time/effort and money into the cosmetics and making it look a lot better.

I have to thank you Minnetonka4me for being so helpful and offering me as much help as you can. I am sure that it wont be the last time that I will ask for your assistance and it definitely wont be the last time that I thank you. :cheers:

Update...

Well I had a little extra time this weekend to work on the SPX so I did what I could in the little bit of time that I had.

With the engine out of the way, and a little spray nine, a scrub brush, and some elbow grease I was able to clean up the inside of the hull a little and the fuel tank. I also used up the majority of the 25' of fuel line and hose clamps that I had obtained for this project.

Hull Before:

309.jpg

310.jpg

311.jpg

After:

312.jpg

313.jpg

314.jpg

315.jpg

Fuel Tank and lines... Before:

316.jpg
317.jpg

318.jpg

After:

319.jpg

320.jpg

321.jpg

322.jpg

I know its not a lot of progress but the way that I look at it is every little bit counts towards the outcome.

On a side note I am not sure if I read it on this forum or another one that I frequent, but if you take a small amount of electrical tape an wrap it around the end of the hose before you put the gear clamp on it prevents the clamp from tearing into the hose when you tighten it down... just a little bit of added security for the hose.

Stay tuned for more to come...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back