Need help with my 2009 seadoo rxt is 255 ibr light wont start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

seadoo rxt is

I need help I just got my seadoo rxt is 255 2009 33 hrs on it. I replaced the battery worked great for 5 minutes and boom stops and limp mode comes on then turns off and ibr light comes and doesn't even start had to get toed home.

Here's a video of it https://youtu.be/dMIXgoxHjt4

Charge the battery and see if it goes away. The IBR system requires excellent voltage or it trips a code and goes into Limp Mode. You may have a junk battery.

It has a brand new battery

I would still do a load test on the battery and charge it as well, assuming it passes the load test.

The IBR system requires FANTASTIC volts/amps. Once it drops it throws codes and will run in limp mode. I had to buy the CanDoo Pro for me to find my issue and it was the battery. It was fine enough to start and run the ski, just not good enough for the IBR..

I brought it to two dealers first one said on the phone probably needs a new ibr motor for $2000! I went to my trusted dealer he said he'll take a look and check the codes and the fuse box and check the connections. He also said it could possibly be the ibr motor. I looked a the ibr motor it looks brand new no corrosion any where. Sucks I didn't even ride for an hour

This is the exact reason I bought the CanDoo Pro. Once I plugged in it clarified that it wasn't the actual modal but the voltage to it,,, I almost bought a $260 just to "try" it to see... Glad I didn't..

When a mechanic, especially the one that is SUPPOSE to know All about your ski says "Maybe,,,". That tends to make me nervous. You are paying a premium dollar in most cases when in comes to any dealer service. Sorry if I sound like a jerk, but I would expect a premium service..

Have the same ski. Dealer replaced mine. The motor usually doesn't go bad, it is the circuit board with the motor that usually goes bad. Unfortunately they come as one assembly.
If, in fact it turns out to be the ibr, I would purchase one and install myself. Dealers tend to forget important things like tightening all the hoses. Don't ask. :facepalm:

The first dealer I talked to was closer to me and they are scammers my 1999 seadoo gtx needed a new starter they wanted to charge $2,500! And I took it to the other dealer and they did it an 1 day for $250

Yep. The complete assembly. The ibr assembly for your ski is no longer available. It has been replaced with an upgraded version. Sea Doo's way of saying the older style was not so good. Hmmm.

update dealer called me and said he's never had to replace an ibr motor they're backed up but he said he'll check the machine and reset the computer.

update dealer called me and said he's never had to replace an ibr motor they're backed up but he said he'll check the machine and reset the computer.

Umm...Ok...reset and go.
Good luck.
Wisconsin must have gotten all the good ones. My dealer has replaced loads of the original style before the upgrade.
I'm done here.

Last edited by a moderator:
IBR's can create many issues outside of the IBR system itself.. If battery voltage lowers a bit, but is still plenty good enough for the starter and engine system. The module sees the lower volts and trips various IBR codes. I had this issue. I bought a CanDoo Pro so that I could better diagnose my issue. Every code came back to the IBR system. But,,, with some digging into why, they were all driven by a decrease in voltage. I unplugged ANYTHING I could find in the back of the ski, cleaned the plugs with alcohol, hit them with hot air gun to force evaporation, put dielectric grease on them, then plugged them back together. Cleared all codes and went for a ride.. Though it was good for a bit, got an IBR issue and then into Limp Mode. Re-checked the codes and again low voltage driven. Replaced my perfectly good working battery with a quality brand new one. Cleared all codes. Have not had an issue since...

Last edited by a moderator:
found out that my engine is seized from sitting for 5 years and the ibr is broken on top of that. They said they couldn't crank it over and they showed me to. They don't rebuild motors their. So I have to find a dealer to rebuild my engine it could be the crank shaft or the Pistons. The said rust must have formed inside so when I took it out I made it worse that's why it wouldn't start when I came home. On top of that while I was taking my seadoos home my double place trailer the right wheels bearings melted couldn't go over 15 mphs or it would smoke luckily there was auto shop 10 miles away. How could my day get any worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back