2012 Sea Doo GTX 260 Limited IBR light with codes

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paddy@george

Please help. While riding the jet ski IBR light and check engine light came on. Found exhaust temperature sensor melted, melted water tubes. Replaced exhaust temperature sensor, replaced tubes on port rear side of ski that melted to exhaust. Drove jet ski everything worked, all lights off, no codes. Took out ski another day, iBR light and check engine light came back. Found water in ski. Found hose on starboard side going into the regulator had disconnected, reconnected hose, water no longer going into ski. Dried the ski out for 3 days. Start ski, IBR light comes back with check engine light. Codes that come on are: P1661, U16A5, U0401, U0129. Checked all of the forums. Found battery to have twisted/melted terminal on left side, checked for voltage, voltage good, replaced battery anyway. Cleaned all terminals. Checked all fuses, all fuses ok. Replaced for good measure. Turn ski on, same IBR light. Begin to check wiring. Shaking the main wiring harness will make the light go on. Checked wires at cluster, all seem ok. After moving wiring harness around IBR light went off. Put ski in IBR Override, able to manual raise and lower the bucket. Put in gear, give gas bucket goes up, in reverse bucket goes down, can also use VTS buttons to raise and lower the bucket. GO back to wire harness, shake it, IBR light back on and unable to go into Reverse or Neutral. Who knows what to check next? Is there a certain wire to be checking or a certain place to check for a failure. Do we think it is the IBR module if it operates correctly when light not on?

It sounds like the connector at the IBR needs to be checked for corrosion. I had an issue with my 2013 GTX 215 where the connector at the bottom of the IBR ( this harness goes to the ECU) had corrosion on the pins. I cleaned the connector both male and female ends and haven't had an issue since.

It sounds like the connector at the IBR needs to be checked for corrosion. I had an issue with my 2013 GTX 215 where the connector at the bottom of the IBR ( this harness goes to the ECU) had corrosion on the pins. I cleaned the connector both male and female ends and haven't had an issue since.
Thank you for your reply!!! We pulled all three plugs going into the IBR, all looked completely clean and had plenty of grease on them, any other suggestions?

Hose to regulator? I’m thinking that a exhaust cooling hose disconnected, overheating the the exhaust system and at the same time spraying water all over your electrical system. Very bad combination. The IBR motor is cooled by that water so that would explain the IBR code and check engine light. The melted exhaust temp sensor probably caused a direct short to ground and if your battery terminal melted you sent some serious current through your electrical system possibly melting more insulation and opening up more possible shorts to ground. You have confirmed this by movement of the wiring harness causing faults and codes. I think a dealer would start with a new main wiring harness.

Just find the bad connection. Many times it is where the wire is crimped onto the terminal so you have to remove the wires from the connector housing and sometimes even in the wire itself.

Hose to regulator? I’m thinking that a exhaust cooling hose disconnected, overheating the the exhaust system and at the same time spraying water all over your electrical system. Very bad combination. The IBR motor is cooled by that water so that would explain the IBR code and check engine light. The melted exhaust temp sensor probably caused a direct short to ground and if your battery terminal melted you sent some serious current through your electrical system possibly melting more insulation and opening up more possible shorts to ground. You have confirmed this by movement of the wiring harness causing faults and codes. I think a dealer would start with a new main wiring harness.
Thank you. The battery connection wasn't completely melted, it seemed bent, but to be honest not sure when that occurred. I will continue to check wiring. Do you think it is not the ibr motor because we can operate it completely? Most likely a connection or a wire?

Wherever you are wiggling. Just remove one at a time from the connector housing. You can check wiring diagram but usually takes more time and not necessary.

Thank you. The battery connection wasn't completely melted, it seemed bent, but to be honest not sure when that occurred. I will continue to check wiring. Do you think it is not the ibr motor because we can operate it completely? Most likely a connection or a wire?

Yes, hopefully the IBR motor just got hot from no cooling and the fault system shut it down before any damage occurred.

Fixed. @skiasylum was correct. Dealer replaced wire harness. Ski appears to be running well now. Part was back ordered, tracked it down in Alabama. Part was about $800, labor 6 hours. Thank you everyone for all your help.
The dealer "jumped" the harness to determine that was the cause. There was no communications with the CAN, not sure what that means, but once they jumped the harness they new it was no good and needed to be replaced.

Amazing diagnosis "asylum!"

Harnesses don't go "bad". They typically develop a single bad connection which typically takes less than 1 hour to track down the bad connection and professionally repair the connection. The entire electrical wiring system of these skis is very simple and can be completely gone through very quickly. Most dealers change complete wiring harnesses so they can charge more than $1000 instead of an hour or two of labor.

Have them give you your old wiring harness and you will find the bad connection with a little effort.

Last edited:
“CAN data transmission uses a lossless bitwise arbitration method of contention resolution. This arbitration method requires all nodes on the CAN network to be synchronized to sample every bit on the CAN network at the same time. This is why some call CAN synchronous. Unfortunately the term synchronous is imprecise since the data is transmitted in an asynchronous format, namely without a clock signal.”

Super simple

The electronic functions and programming aren't simple. The wiring is. There are no fiber optics, just simple wiring and terminals.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back