Marine Speakers - Advantages / Disadvantages.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

achtungbabi

HI Eveyone,

I am about to purchase the new sound system for the 95 speedster Im looking at a Pioneer or Clarion Head Unit inside a water proof DIN box. mounted on the side of the drivers area.

Speakers im looking at know. I know that poly carbonate speakers will handle a spash or allittle more of water and have a much better power usuage than marine speakers. but what is the real advantages disadvantages of both?

Cheers

if you want good marine speakers id look at polk audio they make marine speakers..... you can prob find good ones on ebay, also keep in mind UV rays marine speakers can handle UV rays better.

The marine certified speakers should also use stainless steel. I am currently using Polk Audio MOMO (being discontinued). I have changed out my 4 clarion with the 6.5" MOMO, installed a 10" MOMO sub. The towers speakers (AudioFormz) are 2 6"x9" MOMO with 2 5.25" downfire MOMO. Looking at adding another 10" MOMO sub. I could not be happier with the sound. I may be adding another set of tower speakers though. No issues so far.

SO in essence there is no real reason that a good car speaker can not be used if sheilded from the elements.

and the same for the deck i expect.

SO in essence there is no real reason that a good car speaker can not be used if sheilded from the elements.

and the same for the deck i expect.

Ya i guess but how can you seal a speaker away from the elements and still have good sound or even hear it, pluse there moisture as well to deal with. if your just lookin for something cheap then get the $10 ones from walmart and change them every year. id save the extra little cash and get good marine speaker that will least for years to come.... check out ebay for speakers theres good deals on there set of polk momo for about $100 http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...=m37.l1313&satitle=marine+speakers&category0= , here is the polk ones. you dont have to use polk but just and idea of what good speakers sell for. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke2T1NMDM1Q

Last edited by a moderator:
if you look at the centre of the speaker where the tweeter is mounted on the pole piece, in a marine speaker the cone is sealed with corrigated rubber to stop water getting into the voice coil, on a normal speaker they just have a cloth piece to stop dust getting in there. I have used both in different installs and have found the marine to last longer but need more power as the sensitivity is lower. So i would recomend a cheaper set of normal speakers that can be replaced each year if not using an amp, but if you have an amp then a good set of marines will work well.
That been said i have a set of alpine marine that are working well of the deck and where cheap enough!!!:)

Marine speakers all the way. I do like the Polks, and they have good sound quality, and are quite cheap. JL Audio also has some nice stuff, more expensive though.

I've always been under the impression that marine speakers "suck". I've a lot of car audio in boats. JL Audio seems to be really popular with W6v2's and W7's and amps.

Now they have even more marine audio.

But still, you still get "penalized" for having components made for water enviromments.

The stock Clarion speakers in my 07 Speedster are cracked and broken from where the first owner left the boat out in the sun, so if I just want to replace the speakers alone, without adding a whole new gazillion watt system, and without cutting more or new holes in my boat, which speakers would be best? And which models of those speakers? The Polk or the JL Audio? Or another set of Clarions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at the sensitivity of the speakers, normally measured in db(decibals).
They will have a rating on them stating something like 93db at 1watt at 1meter.
The speakers are givin a 1 watt signal, with a mic placed 1 meter away and measured in db (volume).
The higher the sensitivity the better if you don't have an amp!!
I find anything with sensitivity over 90db will work ok off a deck, anything below 90db normally needs an amp to sound there best.:cheers:

Gunsrunner, Thanks! That information helps. And with that in mind, I am looking at the Polk 651 series. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on these speakers? And the difference between the db651 and mm651? The holes for the speakers on the Speedster/Sportster are 6.5" are they not?

Well, got a new set of Polk MM651UM speakers installed on the boat! Got them off eBay and WOW do they sound better! Course the old speakers were even worse than I initially thought! New speakers went in in about 5 minutes, same screw holes even! They look great too! Gunsrunner, thanks again for the great advice!

Attachments

• Polkspeakers01.jpg
    Polkspeakers01.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Polkspeakers02.jpg
    Polkspeakers02.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 46
  • Polkspeakers04.jpg
    Polkspeakers04.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 48
  • Polkspeakers05.jpg
    Polkspeakers05.jpg